This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Iowa City is known for being a busy college town filled with die-hard Hawkeye fans, amazing nightlife, plenty of quirky downtown shops and hidden food gems! I started checking out the food scene in IC as soon as I moved here and have yet to be disappointed. However, there are so many places to try, the choices can be overwhelming. Have no fear, folks, because I took it upon myself to try the local Iowa City cuisine and share it with all of you! (It’s a tough job, but someone’s gotta do it, right?) So, without further adieu, the best eats of Iowa City:

1. Molly’s: Vegan Chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting

Molly’s is an Iowa City favorite (for obvious reasons), but I was so happy to find out they have vegan cupcakes that still taste amazing! I’m a big fan of the chocolate with homemade peanut butter frosting. It’s decadent and delish, and you’d never know there are no eggs or butter in it!

2. Tspoons: Spicy Chai

If you’ve ever walked through the Old Cap Mall, you’ve passed the adorable coffee shop tucked away in the corner. Locally owned, Tspoons Café has plenty of usual coffee shop favorites, including fresh pastries and brewed flavored coffees. My favorite drink, however, is the spicy chai latte. Its just the right amount of sweet and spice, perfect for a cool fall afternoon or a chilly winter evening.

3. Trumpet Blossom: chocolate avocado torte and fresh-pressed juices

I’m a big fan of all-natural restaurants, so after hearing about Trumpet Blossom’s chill vibes and whole foods, I had to try it. Their adorable vintage ambiance drew me in right away! They’re known for their refreshing fresh-pressed juices (apple/ginger/carrot anyone?), but if you stick around for dessert, I highly recommend the chocolate avocado torte. You’d never know it’s vegan! 

4. Szechwan House: Mixed Veggies

If you’re anything like me, sometimes you just need a hot plate of authentic Chinese food. Szechwan House (near Cactus) offers fresh and homemade Chinese cuisine right here in IC. Their menu has a huge variety, but my personal favorite is mixed vegetables over fried rice! It’s super simple and hits the spot everytime.

5. Heirloom: veggie sandwich

For just around $7, build your own mile-high Sammy filled with avocado, hummus and fresh veggies. Living in the dorms, I definitely miss fresh produce; this refreshing sandwich is such a treat!

6. Pizza Pit: Taco Pizza

Being my roommate’s personal favorite, I come home to a taco pizza delivery roughly once a week. Even though there are roughly 1,348,203 pizza places in Iowa City, Pizza Pit has the best taco pizza I’ve had to date!

7. Java House: Almond Milk Latte

I’m a big fan of supporting local, and Java House is no exception! Conveniently connected to Heirloom, I love to grab an almond milk latte after lunch for a little pick-me-up. The almond milk makes the latte so light, and the beautiful foam art on each cup makes it that much better.

8. Basta: Garden Pasta

If you’re looking for something a bit more upscale, try the delicious Italian menu at Basta! I ate here the first time for my friend’s birthday and got their Garden Pasta. Featuring homemade pasta and sauce, grape tomatoes and creamy goat cheese, this was a light pasta with just the right amount of indulgence. Their flourless chocolate cake was a great end to dinner!

9. Breugger’s: Hummus Bagel

I’m a regular at Breugger’s (despite my wallet telling me I shouldn’t be), and I’m also a huge fan of hummus. When I saw Breugger’s offers a hummus bagel, piled high with chickpea hummus and fresh veggies, I was stoked. Try it on a wheat everything bagel for a perfect filling lunch! 

So there ya go, folks! Get out there and give these delicious bites a try! Happy eating :)

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.