This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Dear Iowa City,

First off, thank you. Thank you for giving me the city I pride in calling my second (and sometimes even my first) home. There are so many reasons to love you, Iowa City, so I’d like to thank you for a few…

Thank you for the local businesses.

Very few of your restaurants are chains. Thank you for not only encouraging us all to shop local but also for having some of the best food. One cannot fully experience you without trying a burger from Short’s, a breakfast from Hamburg Inn or Bluebird, a Molly’s Cupcake and some Yotopia frozen yogurt. Your goal to “Live and Give Local” has impacted us all for the better.

Thank you for your Hawkeye pride.

Any newcomer in Iowa City can feel welcomed in seconds if they simply yell, “Go Hawks!” because someone will yell it right back. Game day is a beautiful sight because all the bars and streets become packed with residents and devoted fans. Home game days are even better because of your beloved tailgates and die-hard fans. So thank you, Iowa City, for always bleeding black and gold.

Thank you for your layout.

Iowa City, you have spoiled me with the perfect balance of a college town, city and suburb. I can’t imagine going to school in a better city. Residents get the feeling of a college campus when laying on the Pentacrest below the Old Capitol, but then walk to the other side of the Pentacrest and face the upbeat city full of restaurants, bars and clubs. The cherry on top is that you even have families living here. Students get an even greater sense of home by constantly seeing kids and animals here.

Thank you for appreciating art.

Your free spirit is shown through all your opportunities for self-expression. Thank you for the wide array of art galleries, theatres and stages. Your streets are perfect to wander on and check out the murals on buildings and street performers. Even your restaurants are filled with art from local artists. FilmScene, the Iowa Artisans Gallery and Englert Theatre are just a few places that contribute to your art appreciation.

Thank you for your party scene.

It’s no secret that you hold one of the biggest party schools in the country. Thank you for making this possible by trusting eighteen-year-olds in the bars. Downtown captures the party scene with countless bars packed with energetic patrons. Indianopolis running out of beer when Iowa City took over was no surprise for anyone who’s been here.

Thank you for the people.

You’re filled with the nicest people (probably since most of us are from the midwest). Iowa City is a place with constant “thank yous” and “sorrys” because everyone cares so much about one another. You are ranked as the least-stressed city in America, which is understandable because of the easy-going residents. This relaxed mood in addition to their passion for the Hawks, beer, food and art make the people an essential role in why I love you. Iowa City you have attracted the best group of people to live here.

So thank you, Iowa City, for showing me that Iowa isn’t so bad and is actually great. Your midwestern, spunky charm makes me want to sit on a Ped Mall painted bench in awe of one of my favorite places filled with the best people.

Photos: 123456

Melanie Taylor is a freshman studying Journalism and Enterprise Leadership at the University of Iowa. She is also involved with Kappa Alpha Theta, Daily Iowan TV, and Dance Marathon. Melanie drinks tea at least once a day and loves to travel! You can follow her @melanie_mtaylor on Instagram and Twitter.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.