A Thank You Letter To My Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Dear Mum and Dad,

Coming to college, I think it is so easy to lose yourself among the new environment we live in with the new people, new habits and new routines. It’s also effortless to throw away your old life, the life you’ve spent in school with parents tending to your every need because college means a new beginning for most students. Personally, I think that parents play an important role in the way a person grows, and whether it’s at home or while I’m at college, I know I’ll always be able to count on them. So this is a little thank you to you two.

You guys have never pressured me to do anything that I didn’t want to do. That’s very important to me because it’s saved me from doing something I’m unhappy with. You’ve respected my decisions, especially when it came to choosing what I wanted to do in college, which is study journalism. Not only this, but you’ve also supported my hobbies and encouraged me to do what I love, like singing, and you’re coming to every concert and show I’ve performed in means a lot to me.

I’m not so great when it comes to giving advice, but both of you are, so I’m confused as to how it didn’t rub off on me. You always know what to say, and honestly, I’d be a hopeless human being without you advising me on sticky situations. Obviously, at the same time, you’ve helped me develop independence by trusting me enough to let me explore another country, to come here to the University of Iowa. This I’ll always be thankful for because so far it’s been great to be a Hawkeye. Also, I’m proud to present you as my personal cheer squad because no matter how small the achievement, you’re the first ones to acknowledge, praise and encourage me to do my best.

The most important thing I want to thank you for is for being so easy to talk to, being open-minded and being my best friends because when some people in my life may come and go, I know you’ll always be there whatever the time. The best thing about you guys? You’re just great goofy people with an awesome sense of humour. I’m goofy myself, so I know for a fact that weirdos run in the family, which isn’t a bad thing at all. Let’s call it a speciality, shall we?

So to the both of you who will be reading this, thank you for everything you’ve done for me, and I promise to be there by your side as you’ve been there for me. You’ve inspired me to succeed and inspired me to be the best version of myself. I’m glad I got the chance to give you a shoutout because without you guys I wouldn’t be where I am, so thanks. 

Love,

Ridhima x

Ridhima Jagtap is a college newbie, a.k.a a freshman, working towards a degree in the field of journalism. You'll often find her chasing after cats and watching adorable cat videos on YouTube. If she's not doing this then she'll be singing her lungs out so that her whole floor can hear her. She hopes to blow people away with writing what she's passionate about. Books, music and a lot of animals!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.