This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Moss, an urban garden boutique, acts as a mini greenhouse in the heart of downtown Iowa City. The aesthetically pleasing store, located at 112 E. Washington St., boasts a selection of plants and planters that will breathe life into your living space.

“We think the word “moss” does a great job of encapsulating in a single word what we are and aspire to be: green, earthy, simple, elegant, vibrant and resilient,” says Anne Armitage, who co-owns the brick and mortar with her husband, Alan.

The couple owns a similar concept, “Bark & Bloom,” at the NewBo City Market in Cedar Rapids. They wanted to expand and decided Iowa City was the best fit to open their new venture.

“We love the feel and culture of downtown Iowa City, the student energy, the walk-ability, the unique shops and restaurants” says Armitage. “One thing has always been clear to us: our business belongs in a vibrant urban center alongside other unique independent businesses.”

The variety of plants that can be found within the brick walls of Moss range from large snake plants to an arrange of mini succulents of different “earthy” colors. To accompany the plants, they have planters (sold separately) of different styles and colors. The plant and planter combo make for decoration, and Armitage believes the combo comes with more benefits than just acting as a statement piece in your home.

“When I walk into a room and see green leaves, I instantly feel a sense of calm and well-being. And they clean the air and absorb toxins,” says Armitage. “They create a vibe like nothing else can.”

The boutique also offers an array of unique decor and gifts. Shop between “nature-inspired” homemade candles and jewelry, vintage posters and gardening books, geode accessories and so much more. Most of the collection is made locally or nationally.

“We value quality artisan work and we feel good about supporting local makers,” says Armitage.

Moss holds several different workshops and events throughout each month that can be found here. Popular and frequent workshops done in the past include “Wine & Design,” where attendees drink a complimentary glass of wine (non-alcoholic options available) and workshop a specific project that involves plants, turning into an end product that can be taken home for enjoyment.

“Attendees can expect to get their hands dirty making Instagram worthy plant art!” says Armitage.  “They’ll learn about potting techniques and plant care.”

Get your green on and support and shop local at Moss!  

Alyssa Pozen

U Iowa '19

Editor-in-Chief for U Iowa Her Campus. Senior at the University of Iowa studying Journalism and Mass Communication and earning a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Obsessed with meme culture, entrepreneurial podcasts and the Real Housewives franchise.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.