This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

There’s a good chance you have heard the song “Run” reverberate through the walls of a car passing you on the street, or maybe your friends listen to it on repeat. Newsflash: the creator of that song is not far from you. He is a Communication Studies and Creative Writing Major, a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and enjoys biking, fishing and traveling (when he can afford it). He is Matt Nolan, and he also likes to sing, play guitar and make songs that nearly every Hawkeye knows the words to. Here are a few more fun facts about Matt to help you get to know him better.

What are three things you do not leave your house without?

My phone, wallet and headphones.

Where do you get inspiration for your songs?

A lot of the time I’ll just hear a song that I like and really wish that I had written it myself. That alone will inspire me to start writing. I think it is important to listen to as many types of different music as possible, so I try to immerse myself with songs from any and all genres. Also, specific artists like Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Vampire Weekend, m83 and A$AP Rocky inspire me through their musical integrity and the music itself.

Which Disney Character do you think you are most like and why?

Well, the first quiz I took online told me that I am Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” because I am “smart, caring and brave,” and although I might be a little different than everyone else, that’s only because I “dream bigger.” I’m going to take some more tests, though, and get back to you.

Do girls ever recognize you on campus, and you have no idea who they are? If so, how do you react in that situation?

It has only happened a couple of times, but every time I am pretty sure that I have been unsure of what to say, aside from “thanks.” I probably make it a little awkward. I’m sorry if that is anyone reading this :/

What is your ideal first date?

It’s a Thursday, so naturally we start our night at Cactus for salsa night and some margaritas. From there, we go to Union and take advantage of “dollar-you-call-its” because, you know, the economy. After we’ve had enough, we head over to Eden and drink to the musical stylings of DJ Baron and enjoy the bottle service graciously paid for by my good friend, Drake Grenier. (How generous of you, Drake! He is pictured to the right of Matt in the picture below.) Once we have finished the bottles, I walk her back to her place, and she is home before midnight.

And, by popular demand, I was requested to ask: are you single?

Yes, find me on Tinder and Christian Mingle.

Well ladies, you heard it here first. Better get out your guitars…

Want to listen to Matt’s music?

http://soundcloudcom/matthew-nolan-music

He is also on Spotify and iTunes!

I am a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying English and Communication Studies. My hobbies include writing, running, looking at cute animal memes, and of course, napping.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.