My Warby Parker Home Try-On Glasses Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

If you are a college student, you know what it’s like to spend money. You don’t spend money. At least only when you have no choice. One of those items that I don’t have a choice in buying are glasses. On average, I get new glasses every two years, which is expensive when you add prescriptions, doctors’ visits and frame costs. 

Warby Parker is a company created to offer designer eyewear at affordable prices. One service Warby parker offers  is that they can have five pairs of glasses shipped to their home for FREE. The best part of this whole offer was that I would only have to pay a dollar for it to be sent to me, and sending it back was free. Free? That’s what I like to hear! My frugal heart jumped for joy, and while in bed during the middle of the night I ordered my five pairs! The five pairs that I chose are below, and with each pair are little facts about the company and what I particularly liked about the experience.

1. Wilkie

One of the creators was in school on a backpacking trip and lost his glasses. Since replacing the glasses was going to be expensive, he spent the whole semester of grad school blind. This pair wasn’t my favorite out of the five because I always wear glasses like this pair. Being doing this at home-try-on was also a way for me to get out of my comfort zone.

2. Percey (My favorite)

They wanted to make alternatives for people to chose from aside from the dominate eyewear industries high prices. Out of all five pairs, this one was my favorite. The style was just the right amount of round and square. 

3. Seymour

Fun Fact: The name Warby Parker came from a book that co-founder Dave stumbled upon while in the New York Public Library. The book had two characters named Warby Pepper and Zagg Parker and just combined to the two. This pair was my least favorite of them all. The two-toned shade was something that I thought I would like but just couldn’t see myself wearing once I had them on.

4. Milton

Their glasses are made of “only the good stuff,” a premium Japanese titanium to custom single-sheet cellulose acetate sourced from a family-run Italian factory. This pair came in at a close second to Percey. The wire frames made them look so classy and sleek, but I didn’t want them to be that round. Percy is a good pair I can ease into before I go all the way to a round pair

5. Wilder

Warby Parker’s company takes their profits and donates to their non-profit partners who cover the cost of sourcing many glasses to people in need. Wilder was my third favorite, and I say that because this frame is like most of the frames I have worn.

I ended up choosing Percey from 5 choices, and I don’t regret the decision. All in all, I enjoyed the five days having them, seeing that I had high expectations when I ordered the frames, and they satisfied me to the fullest.The frames allowed me to see how I look over an allotted time span rather than 15 minutes at an eyewear store. One thing I didn’t do was wear them for five days, which seems reasonable since you get them for five days, but since they didn’t have a prescription for the lens, they didn’t have much use besides really cute selfies. The glasses are relatively small cost seeing that they’re made of premium Japanese titanium and single sheet cellulose acetate, depending on what pair you receive. Also, the non-profits that the money from the frames goes towards shows how humble of a company it is. I give this Warby Home-Try-On experience a thumbs up, and I would highly recommend to any and everyone.

I am Emon Collazo a Junior here at the Univeristy of Iowa studying Health and Human Physiology with a Health Promotion tract. I would like to say that I am always studying but honestly I am probably doing my makeup.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.