Midwest Fests You Don’t Want to Miss!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s about that time of year again. Spring is breezing by and before you know it summer has made its way. Make sure you beat the heat and make it to these Midwest fests before it ends!

ILLINOIS

Summer Camp 2015 (Chillicothe, IL)

Enjoy camping? Make your way to Chillicothe, Illinois to see over 100 bands in three days. Summer Camp has been around for over a decade and still maintains it’s family and high energy atmosphere. Groups like Big Gigantic, STS9, and the Steve Miller Band will be in attendance.

–       Camping, there will be over 100 bands on 7 stages in 3 days. May 22-24

Spring Awakening (Chicago, IL June 12-14)

For all you EDM lovers Spring Awakening is back again. Make your way to Solider Field (June 12-14) to see Afrojack, Diplo, and Flosstradamus.

Chicago Blues Fest (Chicago, IL June 12-14)

Some of you might want to take the soulful route this summer and there’s just the place for you. The Chicago Blues Festival is FREE and is the biggest blues fest in the world! Expect to see Sugar Blue, Bobby Dixon, and Alex Dillion on one of the five stages!

Pitchfork (Chicago, IL July 17-19)

Pitchfork will be celebrating their 10th year this summer. Celebrate in the heart of Union Park with 50,000 concert-goers. The lineup this year includes Chance the Rapper, A$AP FERG, and ILOVEMAKKONEN. Pitchfork is known for being the most reasonably priced festival in the city.

Lollapalooza (Chicago, IL July 31-August 2)

Lollapalooza is back again with another noteworthy lineup including A$AP Rocky, Alabama Shakes, and Caked Up. Spend a three-day weekend in with the skyline, authentic Chicago style cuisine, and the fresh lake front.

IOWA

80/35 (Des Moines, IA July 10-11)

In downtown Des Moines, you will be able to see your favorite indie bands. Weezer, Wilco, and 50 other acts will be in attendance this year along with 30,000 fans!

Hinterland (Des Moines, IA July 31-August 1)

From its name Hinterland, fans will be hanging out with Water Works Park in the background. This is Hinterlands first year and will be kicking off with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros! And yes, you can set up camp for this one.

MICHIGAN

Electric Forest (Rothbury, Michigan June 25-28)

Located in Rothbury, Michigan, Electric Forest is back again and ready for camping! Spend the next four days jamming out with Skrillex, G-Eazy, and Lettuce.

Common Ground (July 7-12)

Make your way to Lansing, Michigan for good music, great food, and a number of performers. From Meghan Trainor to Skizzy Mars and Misterwives.

Faster Horses (July 17 -19)

For all you country lovers take yourself up north to Brooklyn, Michigan to see your favorite country stars. Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, and Lonestar will all be in attendance this year.

Minnesota

Soundset

For one day only visit Shakopee, Minnesota to see Vic Mensa, Big Sean, and J.Cole rap it out for only $62!

MISSOURI

Middle of the Map Fest (April 22 -24)

Aside from it’s catchy name, at Middle of the Map Fest you can listen to great music from Mickey Avalon, OK GO, and Bruiser Queen. But wait there’s more! Middle of the Map Fest also offers its own film fest!

Rockfest Kansas City 2015 (Kansas City, MO May 30)

Rockfest is exactly what it sounds like. Bands that are included to rock your socks off are Papa Roach, Anthrax, and Rob Zombie!

OHIO

Rock on the Range (May 15-17)

Brands will be spread out over three stages and preforming for three days! Located in Columbus, Ohio you will be listening to Linkin Park and Marilyn Manson.

Fashion Meets Music Festival (September 5-6)

Looking for something a little different? Fashion Meets Music Festival might be right up your alley. There will be live music, including; Young the Giant, and talented designers from all over the country.

WISCONSIN

Summerfest (June 24 – July 5)

One of the longest running fests in the Midwest. This year Summerfest will be having 800 acts from Ed Sheeran to Kaskade. Make sure you make your way to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to have the best 11 days of your summer.

Country Jam (July 23 – 25)

Country Jam is exactly what it sounds like. Located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin you will enjoy a weekend full of music from Lady Antebellum, Hunter Hayes, and Blake Shelton!

Allison Bradley is a 19 year old Chicago native and full time University of Iowa student with a penchant for DIYs, fashion, and coffee.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.