Meet World Traveler Colleen Gannon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Major: Electric and Computer Engineering (ECE) with minors in Computer Science and Mathematics

Year in School: Junior

Hometown: DeWitt, Iowa

Involvement on campus: Society of Women Engineers, Dance Marathon, University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics volunteer and the Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership Program

Why did you choose the University of Iowa? 

Iowa felt like home. Growing up on a farm, I wanted a change of pace in a more urban area, and I felt that Iowa gave that to me. When I was touring other universities, I kept comparing them back to Iowa. That’s how I knew I was meant to go to Iowa. I also liked how you can be directly admitted into Iowa’s engineering program and within it, they create an atmosphere of teamwork and support. At other schools, I got the vibe that students are pinned against each other and are fighting for limited spots.

What made you choose your major? 

I began college as a biomedical engineering major and wanted to go into cellular research. After taking some chemistry classes (and only two days of a biology class), it occurred to me that I just didn’t like it. Honestly, I wasn’t very good at it either! On the other hand, I loved my math and programming classes and was doing well in them. It made sense to switch into ECE, and I’ve been much happier since switching.

What your favorite Iowa memory? 

I think my favorite Iowa memory was the football season of 2015. The atmosphere on campus from winning game after game was electric. It was exciting to look forward to each weekend to get friends together to tailgate and to come out of each game with a W. It got better and better each weekend as the streak kept going. I wish I could go back to enjoy it again!

What inspires you? 

Travel inspires me. I’ve been fortunate to go abroad in high school and study abroad in college. I love learning what “normal” means to people around the world. The food, traditions, religion, clothing and everything in between gives me such a rush and opens my eyes to how others live. I want to go everywhere and do everything possible! 

Dream job: I want to be a software engineer for a company that develops products to be used in healthcare facilities. I’ve been looking into companies like Cerner and Epic lately. I want a job that allows me to interact with a healthcare setting because I’m interested in medicine.

Career goals: I’ll probably start off as a code monkey, but long-term, I want to work with doctors and nurses to help them learn to use software to make their jobs easier. I think being the liaison between developers and healthcare professionals would be really cool!

Hobbies: I love to run! I would run multiple times a day if I could. I also enjoy playing the piano. 

What your go-to coffee order?

If I’m trying to stay up all night, I’ll get a flavored iced coffee—usually caramel or vanilla—with milk. If I’m walking by Starbucks and have a few bucks on me, I’ll get a fruity tea. 

What’s your favorite show to binge watch?

I loved Stranger Things! They added the perfect blend of creepy and suspense.

Who is your biggest role model? 

My dad is definitely my biggest role model. He’s the hardest worker I know but never lets the stress of it all get to him. He helps anybody who needs it. He’s also a great leader—he knows when to rise to a challenge but also recognizes when he is more valuable as a team member, allowing someone else to lead. I can go to my dad with anything and he always has amazing advice.

What is your favorite place in the world? 

My favorite place in the world is probably Zermatt, Switzerland. It’s a small town at the base of the Matterhorn. It’s a quiet little town full of tiny shops and cozy homes. It’s nestled right in the Alps so you feel very small and secluded. 

What is your favorite quote?

“Whatever you are, be a good one.”

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.