Meet Jen Hood, Future Nurse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Sometimes you get to know people by chance. I met Jen Hood in the Student Organization Office Suite because we both dedicate a large chunk of our time to our respective student orgs. I’ve gotten to know her just from the fact that she’s easy to talk to and immediately makes you feel comfortable. It’s always great to be in the office at the same time as her becuase I know I’m going to enjoy my time there. 

Year in School: Sophomore

Major: Nursing with a minor in American Sign Language and a certificate in Disabilities Studies

Hometown: Arvada, Colorado 

Campus Involvement: I am the Novelty Director for Campus Activities Board (CAB) where my committee and I plan fun Make and Take events every other Tuesday in the Hawkeye Room from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and trivia also in the Hawkeye Room the last Wednesday of every month. I am also apart of  Dance Marathon. This year I am a part of the Dance Marathon 24 Leadership team! I am in the Family Relations Cabinet on the Family Rep committee. I am also an OnIowa! Leader coming back for my second year. I also work at UIHC and Mercy Hospital and volunteer at UIHC. 

Hobbies: I love watching football on Sundays with my dad. Ever since I moved to college it has been a lot harder to be together to watch games so we FaceTime each other and watch them together. We love to cheer on the Broncos and talk about what is going on in the football world. I also love to play the piano. I have been playing since I was in first grade, so it has always been an extremely enjoyable thing for me. Being from Colorado I love being outside! I love camping, hiking 14er’s and playing sports. 

What’s your favorite thing about the University of Iowa? 

From the moment that I stepped onto this campus I knew that this is where I was supposed to be. Being an out of state student and not knowing a single soul when I moved to Iowa City was the most wonderful and terrifying thing that I have ever done. I moved 1,000 miles away from any sort of normal that I once knew, and when I got here I felt at home. I love the friendliness of everyone on campus. I love meeting new people from all walks of life. I love football Saturdays in Iowa City because there is literally nothing better than a home game inside Kinnick Stadium cheering on the best team in college football (S/O to #78). Mostly I have loved all the people that I have met, from my roommate Michelle to my best friends Michaela, Bam and Joslyn and my dearest friend Rachel who has always pushed me to do better. I honestly don’t have one favorite thing about the University of Iowa. I just know that being apart of the Hawkeye Legacy is something that I am very thankful that I decided to do. 

What are your career goals? 

I hope to be a nurse. Either a scrub nurse (assisting surgeons in the OR) or working in the CVICU (Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit). I have be able to shadow in the OR with some of the surgeons from UIHC, and that is where I fell in love with the intensity of the operating room. The first surgery I got to see was a triple bi-pass, so that is where I found my love and appreciation for the heart. That is why I would love to be able to work in the CVICU. For such a fragile organ the heart is pretty resilient. Before I start my career working in a hospital as a nurse I would like to join the Peace Corps and once that is done, become a traveling nurse! 

Why did you choose your major? 

Since I was eight years old I knew that I wanted to be a nurse. I have grown up diagnosing my cousins, sister and friends with every pretend illness I could think of. I loved to play nurse so much that when it came time to choosing a major, nursing was one that was easy for me to decide on. I also have eight aunts and five cousins that are nurses and four other cousins that are doctors, so going into the medical field is in my blood.

What’s your go-to coffee order? 

It’s either a large light roast coffee with a splash of half and half or a Caramel Macchiato (those are only special treats). 

What’s your favorite song to jam out to? 

Anything by Chance the Rapper. 

What words would you use to describe yourself? 

Honest, loyal, hardworking, loving, independent and empathetic. 

What’s your favorite show to binge-watch? 

Grey’s Anatomy, Friends, Full House, or NCIS

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? 

Ireland. I am Irish and I have always wanted to spend St. Patrick’s Day or Oktoberfest in Ireland. 

What’s your favorite quote? 

Well I have two: “With brave wings she flies,” and ” For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11 

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.