“Made in the A.M.” by One Direction is Actually “Perfect”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Although this is the first album released as 1D-minus-Z (s/o to Sydney for such creative naming), it still lives up to the standard the boys have created for themselves. With a mixture of 70’s and 80’s inspired tracks, their signature pop sound and emotionally packed ballads, this fifth album does not disappoint. Listen below while you read!

1. Hey Angel

Initial Thoughts: 1D is taking us to church. Wait—no, that’s not what’s happening at all. What is going on?

This is the perfect song to begin the album with. It’s so different from anything they’ve done, but it works. There is so much happening in this song, including the alternating beat, the harmonies and the “oo’s” to name a few. I fall in love with it more every time I listen to it because of all these components.

2. Drag Me Down

Initial Thoughts: Even though I’ve heard this song a million times and know it by heart, I’m still obsessed.

Just clear the dance floor because this is a total jam, and I’m about to get down (no pun intended!). It’s super intense, and being the first single featured off this album, it set the fans up for what their new sound would be. And we were not disappointed. They actually rented out NASA for the music video. Who else can do that? Also, you really gotta crank it up at the end to hear Harry’s little giggle because it will make your life.

3. Perfect

Initial Thoughts: THIS HAS TAYLOR SWIFT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.

This song is almost as obviously about Taylor Swift as her song “Style” is about Harry (hello, Harry STYLEs?). It tells more of a story than any of their other songs have in the past because I think they like to write tunes that are relatable, but this one is amazing. It’s about being in a relationship that is more fun than serious, but it’s also tinged with some sadness, and I think that’s because it is so personal. Thank you for sharing with us, Harry.

4. Infinity

Initial Thoughts: This beat drop makes my heart stop.

This emotional song about longing will probably make you miss your middle school boyfriend. The main idea is that it’s going to take a long time to mend your broken heart. It also has a space vibe to it and not just because of the stars and the fact that it’s called “Infinity.” The music has a dreamy quality, which makes this song a great one.

5. End of the Day

Initial Thoughts: Caution: causes some serious head bobbing.

This song goes back and forth between tempos, but it creates a really cool dynamic that you wouldn’t usually get contained in one song. Bless Louis for his high note because this is the first time he’s tried, and it’s amazing. The lyrics remind me of “Act My Age” off their previous album, “Four,” because it’s about not caring about anything other than being with the person you love at the end of it.

6. If I Could Fly

Initial Thoughts: Piano and raw Harry vocals. Yup, I’m gonna cry.

Relying on orchestral music more than most of the others, this song is beautiful. The solos are great (especially Niall’s—I’ve never heard him more raspy or manly!), but when they come together and harmonize, it’s slightly haunting and totally addicting. Definitely one of my favorites on “Made in the A.M.”

7. Long Way Down

Initial Thoughts: Could this be the song I dance to at my wedding?

Okay, so this probably will not be playing at my wedding considering it’s about falling out of rather than falling in love. Still, I can absolutely picture dancing to this song, even alone in my living room. The slow beat and sweet lyrics elicit a feeling of melancholy, but not in a bad way at all.

8. Never Enough

Initial Thoughts: WHAT. IS. HAPPENING. I’m thinking of sumo wrestlers and “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”

Falsetto screaming juxtaposed with low “hoo’s” is enough to allow one to question if this could be really be 1D. But as soon as it breaks down, there is this message of self-deprecating (if totally cheesy) adoration which is signature of One Direction. Then comes this total belt-y screech that will make you question everything you thought you knew about this boy band again. Overall, it’s a total jam.

9. Olivia

Initial Thoughts: Mother, why couldn’t you have named me Olivia?

Sounding notoriously similar to a Beatles song, this is a happy hippie-esque song that quite frankly makes me picture running through a field of poppies. Also, there’s a part where Harry sings that seems to point to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”? I just can’t wait until I get a handle on the “I Love You, Olivia’s.”

10. What a Feeling

Initial Thoughts: What is this feeling I’m feeling?

This song could be straight out of the 70’s with the groovy vibe it creates. The lyrics talk about the girl’s dress catching the light and there being stars in her eyes. How much more disco could you get?

11. Love You Goodbye

Initial Thoughts: This would be the perfect song for the end credits to a sad movie.

This emotionally charged breakup song is one that launches One Direction out of their bubblegum pop reputation. It is very clearly about wanting an ex to stay the night right after they’ve broken up. Regardless of the story, it’s relatable to anyone who’s gone through a sad breakup. Plus Louis is featured again with a high note, and I wasn’t sure if my heart could take it.

12. I Want to Write You a Song

Initial Thoughts: Is Harry Styles in my bedroom? Yeah, One Direction is sitting right in front of me with their acoustic guitars (so what if Niall’s the only who plays?) and serenading me.

I don’t know if my words will do justice to how I feel about this song. It could be deemed as the next “Little Things,” but I would say this song is better at being sweet instead of bringing up a girl’s every little insecurity. I think this song is more than a love song to be directed at a single girl, but rather it’s for the fans (and we are SO thankful for it!).

13. History

Initial Thoughts: I’m already clapping.

This is the perfect song to do the step-touch dance move to. This is another song which the boys have explicitly said is about and for the fans. The part Louis sings about all the things that come with fame showcase his vocals really well while also showing that all those material things don’t compare to the support the fans give.

14. Temporary Fix

Initial Thoughts: “No Control” part 2?

More Niall rasp right off the bat, and I don’t think anyone is mad about it. This song has a similar feel to that of “Midnight Memories,” off their third album with the same title (Harry even does the exact same scream). It relies heavily on rock influences and talks about a one night stand, which is a theme found quite frequently on this album. It seems the boys are really trying to shake the innocent boy band label!

15. Walking in the Wind

Initial Thoughts: Hello, yes best friend we need to take a walk outside immediately.

This song fills me with the need to go out and adventure (plus I want to go out and find One Direction). It’s a great song for a road trip or for a jog, even if it is talking about walking.

16. Wolves

Initial Thoughts: How sweet it is to be loved by you! Seriously, is this not the same song?

Another track very much influenced by music from former decades, this is another fun song that I’m tempted to get up and dance to. I’m also a big fan of the “oo’s” which sound coincidentally similar to the howls of wolves.

17. A.M.

Initial Thoughts: Okay, but like, you actually need to marry me, Harry.

Harry says “asses.” So does Louis. Yes, I’m a college student and am familiar with the word, but not when it comes out of their precious mouths. I was just so surprised! More of the push away from the boy band idea. This song is just amazing though. It starts out slow and is picked up with a solid tambourine beat, and I can’t get it out of my head. And yes, I will stay with you boys until the A.M.

Congrats on the fabulous album, boys, and although we’ll miss you, enjoy your well-deserved break!

“Made in the A.M.” is available in stores now, on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon and Google Play.

All gifs found on Giphy.com. Photos from One Direction’s official social media pages.

Paige Netzel is a senior at the University of Iowa, studying English and Creative Writing with a Cinema minor. Coffee, creating playlists, and gratitude are essential to keeping her going. Check her out on Twitter for some hecka funny tweets or on Spotify for those dope playlists.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.