A Love Letter To The Java House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Dear Java House,

Where to begin? You’ve been there for me since my first finals week, all the way back in 2014. I sat on the couch, sipping a sugar cookie latte and resting my feet on a table amidst stacks of textbooks and notebooks. You got me through three long finals and several all-nighters.

Even when I was studying in the third floor lounge of Burge, you were still there for me. I drank Java Coolers like there was no tomorrow. Since then, you have become a part of my finals week routine. 

And so begins my love affair with you. 

When I started working in the Iowa Memorial Union, I got coffee from you during my early shifts to wake me up at 7:30 in the morning. Some days, I can only make it through my shifts after I get caffeinated. My friends make comments about my coffee sitting on the desk next to my computer, saying that they wouldn’t recognize me if I didn’t have my beloved Java House. Even when money gets tight, and I can’t get you as often as I want to, I still save what I can to get at least one iced coffee once a week. 

I post about you on Instagram more than my boyfriend (oops), but it’s not my fault there are so many pretty lattes, mochas and iced coffees to take several pictures for my feed. I can craft 140-character sonnets about you on Twitter. It’s easy to show my love for you, Java House. 

To put all of that together, Java House, you have been an important detail in my college career. But it’s not just me who loves you. Iowa City, and all the community members and students within it, love you. You are an Iowa City treat (I’m desperately missing the caramel white mocha as I sit and write this at home in Chicago), and I hope you never change.

Thank you, Java House. 

Love,

Rachel

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.