Journalists: Famous, Fictional, & Female

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s no secret that I love celebrating women . . . I could do it all day, every day! In this particular article, I want to highlight just a few of the many women who have played the role of a journalist. Sure, these specific women are only fictional characters, but they have been engrained into the world of pop culture (and our hearts) forever.

So, without further ado, here are some of the most iconic females in journalism.

1. Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

2. Murphy Brown, Murphy Brown

3. Josie Geller, Never Been Kissed

4. Rory Gilmore, Gilmore Girls

5. Lois Lane, Superman

6. Mary Tyler Moore, The Mary Tyler Moore Show

7. Jenna Rink, 13 Going on 30

8. Andrea Sachs, The Devil Wears Prada

9. Rita Skeeter, The Harry Potter series

10. Andie Anderson, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Like I said, these are only a few of the famous, fictional, and female journalists in the world; let alone those based off of real heroes (Rachel McAdams as Sacha Pfeiffer in Spotlight). Journalism is a crucial part of our democracy—the Fourth Estate—so it’s more than welcome to see women fill this role on the big screen. However, there is still a lot of work to be done in how the media portrays female journalists. We are professionals . . . not just sexy stand-ins who sleep with our sources.

Photos: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Happy reading!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.