I’ve Never Had A Pumpkin Spice Latte…Until Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I finally did it, and I can’t even. To be honest, I’ve never had a pumpkin spice latte (PSL) until I came up with the idea to write about it. I just didn’t understand the hype around it. I didn’t know it would soon lead into an addiction and have me end up drinking two of them in one day (Happy National Coffee Day! Which was last Tuesday).

At Starbucks, the PSL is only a fall seasonal drink. People can usually tell when it’s fall the moment PSL is out, not by the autumn solstice, and it’s gone the moment December hits. It’s also the official drink of all “basic” girls out there and fulfills the “basic girl” stereotype of Uggs, leggings, scarves and PSL. I was just not about that archetype. 

PSL is a coffee drink made with a mix of the “typical” fall spice flavors (cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves) steamed milk, and espresso and is topped pumpkin pie spice. This year, Starbucks changed the recipe by adding real pumpkin in so that you can get the real taste of fall and all the memories of pumpkin pie, pumpkin carving and pumpkin patches.

I tried to stay away from the trend as long as I could because I didn’t like pumpkin or nutmeg. I also don’t drink coffee that much, but I live with big coffee enthusiasts. I’ll have an occasional Chai Tea latte with a pump of caramel (keep note future boyfriend) or my favorite summer drink, Peach Green Tea Lemonade (extra light ice for those keeping notes) from any coffee shop, especially Starbucks.

It was a hot day (in fall? I know right?!) when I walked into Starbucks and I ordered my first pumpkin spice latte. But I ordered it iced… not your typical way of drinking a PSL. It was hot outside, and I thought I should try both just to see if there’s a difference. I had my first sip and gagged at the over-sensation of nutmeg, only to realized I hadn’t mixed the pumpkin spice mixture in with my drink. I mixed and went back at it again, and there was a party in my mouth. I wanted to savor the drink as I studied the day away and enjoyed every last bit of it. I texted my roommates that I secretly enjoyed my PSL and about how I felt basic for enjoying it, but it tasted like a Chai Tea latte with some nutmeg and pumpkin spice. I had to be objective though; I need a PSL hot, like in Scream Queens.

The next day after class, I got my hot PSL and examined it like they did on Buzzfeed. I could see the oil separation (I’m guessing from the pumpkin), but it still tasted to me like Chai with nutmeg, some hints of caramel and pumpkin. It was a party in my mouth. It was so good that I asked my roommates if they wanted to go back to Starbucks because I needed to do more “research.”

That was the start to my addiction. All I want this fall besides my caramel apple cider and Chai lattes is PSL. My roommates and I discussed how our society tries to punish girls for liking things and gives them labels like “basic.” If you think something delicious, you do you and don’t worry about what society says. There are people who enjoy Durian, the world’s smelliest fruit, and they honestly don’t care because it’s super sweet and delicious. So go to any coffee shop, store, anywhere and enjoy pumpkin spice before it’s gone. Also try all the other pumpkin flavor stuff; you never know what you’re missing out on until you try it!

Share the movement #PSL

Amy is currently a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication, minor in political science with certificates in Event Planning and Entrepreneurial Management and HC UIowa's Trouble Maker. Her dream job is to work in Public Relations or Event Planning and plans to also become a lawyer, like the 9 years old Amy planned. Whenever she's not writing articles, she's usually online shopping, binging on Netflix, or laughing at her own jokes. Midwestern Prep with the worst luck in the world, you can keep track of her worst case scenarios on Twitter.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.