Iowa’s Campus Cutie: Paige Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Meet this week’s campus cutie, Paige Thompson! Paige is a sophomore at the University of Iowa, majoring in communications and hoping to pursue a career in public relations. Let’s get the inside scoop from her on some must-do activities on campus this fall!

What is your favorite activity to do at UI in the fall?

Hands down, I absolutely love tailgating for the football games! Going to a Big Ten university, school pride is huge here and everyone gets super into tailgates. For 11 a.m. games, people wake up at 5 a.m. to get ready, and are at the tailgate by 7. Students, especially, are so dedicated in their black and gold.

What makes this event so special?

I feel like tailgating and football season really unites our campus. We all come together in a sea of black and gold, and it’s really fun to be a part of something so big and powerful. We spend these Saturdays cheering on our team, grilling out and watching the game on the field and at the bars. It’s a really cool experience.

Where are your favorite places to eat in the fall?

I definitely have to start off by saying Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Lattes are a must-have in the fall. Eating wise, it’s really nice to sit outside at Formosa. We have such good fall weather here, so eating outside in the Ped Mall is great for people watching and allows you to enjoy the sunshine.

What are you looking forward to most this season?

I’m most looking forward to Halloween! Halloween at Iowa is a huge event, and it lasts all weekend. Halloween is on a Friday this year, so people will be dressed up for, like, four days! It’s a lot of fun dressing up with your friends and celebrating on campus. Ragstock is an awesome place if you need to find a costume.

What do you hope to accomplish this season?

Like I said before, fall is a super busy time and schedules fill up really quickly. Fall is full of tailgates, outdoor activities and, ugh, midterms. I’m hoping to do well on my midterms while balancing schoolwork and a social life. 

My name is Ally Glennon and I am a sophomore at the University of Iowa. I am a double major in journalism and mass communication studies, with a focus on public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.