This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s finally fall in Iowa City! Here’s a preview of some fun fall activities around the Iowa City area.

First, this coming weekend, October 2nd-5th, is the Iowa City Book Festival in downtown IC!

This year is the 6th annual Iowa City Book Festival. Iowa City was designated as one of seven Cities of Literature by UNESCO in 2008 and has been providing the community with literary events ever since. The Iowa City Book Festival celebrates books and writing by leveraging the unique mix of local resources that helped to earn the UNESCO designation. Partners like the University of Iowa’s Writers’ Workshop and International Writing Program, FilmScene, and the Mission Creek Festival will offer programming during the Festival. This, along with a selection of nationally prominent authors, will provide an exciting and enlightening weekend of events and programs that put literature of all kinds in the spotlight!

To get a full schedule of the festival and a list of all authors attending, visit the Iowa City Book Festival website.  

If you’re looking for other literary events, be use to check out Prairie Lights Bookstore for a schedule of their daily literary readings!

Next, we have a wide array of college events happening on campus.

Homecoming weekend is October 10th-12th, and it’s bringing in some big excitement.

On Friday the 10th, the Homecoming Parade will feature floats from local businesses and student organizations as well as special guests from around the community. Visit the Parade’s website to see the parade route.

On Saturday the 11th, Iowa will be playing Indiana at Kinnick Stadium for our homecoming football game. The morning will be full of tailgating, game day food, and an abundance of Iowa fans. It’s the perfect way to help Iowa celebrate its winning tradition!  

To see more events happening homecoming weekend, visit the homecoming website

Iowa City is also a popular fall concert and event hotspot. This fall, a wide array of artists will be visiting Iowa City’s most famous venues. Mike Stud, Mayday Parade, and Huey Mack are just a little of the amazing talent coming this fall. To check out all the up-coming concerts, visit the following websites:

·      Gabe’s

·      Blue Moose Tap House

·      The Mill

·      Yacht Club

Also, make sure to check out Iowa’s student organization SCOPE Productions. Scope brings quality concerts and entertainment to the University of Iowa campus every semester. The Englert Theatre in downtown Iowa City is another great venue that is constantly hosting events, concerts, and much more.  Be sure to keep an eye on their website for any upcoming shows that you may find alluring!

And finally, a more traditional fall activity…some good old fashion apple and pumpkin picking!

Wilson’s Apple Orchard is the perfect destination for a beautiful fall day. You can find apples perfect for cider and pumpkins perfect for carving.  On weekends, Wilson has tractors available to take you around the grounds. There’s also hot cider and apple turn-overs on hand for every visitor.

To see hours of operation and all the events going on this fall, check out Wilson’s Apple Orchard’s website

My name is Jess. I'm a senior here at the University of Iowa where I am currently studying as an English major. I love all things related to writing, music, and spending time with the people who mean the most to me. I am currently interning for Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature as a Marketing intern. Someday, I hope to work as an editor or proofreader in a publishing house.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.