kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Right off the bat to answer your question, no, it is not in my face. Sorry, but my reason is not that glamorous and I wish it made me look younger. I get Botox in my armpits to prevent excessive sweating due to a condition I have called hyperhidrosis, which pretty much means I sweat more than the significant person. 

In high school, I often felt anxious because at any time that I was nervous or uncomfortable (AKA every time I had a quiz, presentation or test) I would have pit stains, which forced me to wear mainly fleeces or white shirts, which would quickly stain to yellow. I tried every different kind of deodorant, but nothing seemed to work. Having sweat marks made me very self-conscious and prevented me from doing simple things like raise my hand or high five people, and I knew I needed a change.

After going to the dermatologist, I was prescribed special deodorant in hopes that it would help, which unfortunately it did not. I also tried pills to prevent me from sweating, but they caused me to have dry skin, constantly be thirsty and feel overall lethargic. Finally, I went to the dermatologist to get Botox in my armpits.

At first, the doctor explained what would happen and showed me the needle, which I was less than excited about because I hate needles– even a flu shot freaks me out. She then put iodine and powder on my armpits to show her the main areas where I sweat. She then had me put my arm up one at a time and then quickly injected the Botox into my armpits. It takes less than 2 minutes for each armpit and the needle can barely be felt. I was shocked by how painless it was and how quick. Coming from someone who has cried after getting her finger pricked, this was not painful.

For the next 24 hours, one cannot do any physical activity. It is recommended to not wear deodorant to the appointment and wear a tank top. After the first time, I noticed a difference right away, and to this day, it makes me emotional how much something this simple has changed my life. I can now wear tight shirts that are different colors and I can also go to bed without having to apply deodorant. 

I have to get the Botox every 3 to 4 months, and the more often one gets the injections, the less often they will have to get over time. I have been getting the Botox for about 4 years now, and every 4 to 6 months I will go in and get the Botox once I notice I am pitting out more. The appointments take about 10 minutes each and it only costs $10 for the co-pay through my insurance.

Sure, getting Botox might not be the most glamorous thing in the world, but if you struggle with excessive sweating then I would highly recommend it. It can boost your self-confidence and allow you to live your life to the fullest.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.