This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

You’re on top of your game with balancing classes, events, parties and feeling like you can take on anything. What could possibly bring you down? Perhaps a bad cold would do exactly that. Everyone knows the struggle: trying not to cough loud in class, awkwardly avoiding eye contact while blowing your nose, sitting through a lecture when all you can think about is sleep. We’ve all been there. With all the holiday excitement in the air, the last thing you want is to be sick. Here’s your guide to stopping the sniffle in it’s track.

Wash your hands often

As obvious as this one sounds, it’s the best way to prevent the spread of nasty germs.  You can still sing the ABC’s or ‘Happy Birthday’ twice if that means remembering to scrub for a solid 20 seconds. Still more effective than hand sanitizer and removes the germs you pick up before the come in contact with your body. Also keep your hands away from your face!

Disinfect

Stop what you’re doing and sanitize your desk space and most used electronics. Think about it, items such as laptops, tablets and cell phones are used after opening door handles, pressing elevator buttons, and shaking hands, so naturally, they encounter a lot of bacteria.

Also remember to clean makeup brushes and sponges. Clean brushes with anti-bacterial soap weekly and clean lip gloss applicators with rubbing alcohol. It’s also important to avoid sharing makeup (and germs) with others.

Sleep!

With this semester coming to a close, it’s important to remember to get your 8 hours of sleep, regardless of all the loose ends you need to tie. Sleep is essential for mental focus, clarity and function. Your immune system is largely affected when you skip on sleep!

Stay active

Hiitting the gym or going for a run boosts your immune system and releases unhealthy toxins. A great workout will make you feel better even when you’re feeling under the weather.

If you already feel a cough coming on… Vitamin C

Vitamin C is your best friend, drink lots of fruit juices and remember to stay hydrated.

Tea 

Relax over a movie, and sip a warm cup of tea with some good ol’ honey! Green tea is packed with antioxidants that can help your body recover.

Hello! I'm Erin, a University of Iowa student often found doing crafty things or jamming out to alternative music. I love flowers, puns, concerts, and traveling. I've lived on the east coast and the west coast but the midwest is the best.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.