This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Everyone experiences heart break before they meet the right guy. You think you’ve finally met him, but you aren’t so sure. Well, ask yourself, “Am I with the right guy?” To avoid heartbreak in the future, make sure your relationship is full and strong by testing it with these main points. 

1. You can be doing nothing and still be having fun

You want a lazy day watch Netflix and ordering a pizza. So what? Just being around him makes you happy. It doesn’t have to be about what you do, but just that you’re together makes everything fun. Being in his presence just puts a smile on your face.

2. Even when you’re annoyed with him, you can’t help but smile and laugh

He keeps talking about this video game coming out and you get to the point where you have to yell, “Enough!” You snap at him and tell him that you’ve had enough and to talk about something else. Without getting upset at you, he does something that makes you laugh, and all is well. You laugh and continue laughing until all is okay. He’s just trying to make you happy. Always. 

3. You’ve literally NEVER felt like this before

You’ve dated in the past, but you have a feeling that you have never felt before. Not necessarily just lovey, but just that it’s right. You look at him and think, “Wow, I have someone that is actually really special”. If you get this feeling, hold on to him. You’ve got a good one.

4. There is a clear future ahead

Not only is he cute, nice and funny, but he’s actually focused on bettering himself too. He is still into you but also the possibility for him to become the best version of himself that he can be. Not only for you, but for him.

5. He knows you better than anyone else

You can be in a bad mood and yell at him, and he still knows that you don’t mean it. You get stressed and start crying, and he won’t ask you what’s wrong, he’ll just give you a hug and hold you till it’s all okay. He knows you and understands you. Whatever mood you’re in, he knows how to react.

6. Its equal

Not just physically — like paying for food — but mentally, too. You can both discuss intellectual ideas, have mature disagreements about politics and overall create an equal balance where one is not higher than the other.

7. You’re in Love…Duh!

You can’t always choose who you end up loving. It’s complicated almost all the time. Overall, if you love him — and I mean really love him — it will work out in the end no matter what. If you equally love each other the same amount, you’re going to go the distance to make it work. No matter what. 

My name is Claudia Jannes, and I am a junior at the University of Iowa! I am a English and creative writing major in hopes to become a high school English teacher. I am thankful for her campus for giving me a voice on campus and on the internet!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.