This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In the months leading up to the holiday season, I fantasize about the twinkling lights, holiday music and the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping. I actually enjoy the crowds in the mall during this time of year because it puts me in a festive mood. That being said, it’s important to know how to shop effectively for the holidays once the busy-ness and rush to buy presents sets in. It’s tricky in college to make time for Christmas shopping when finals are right before break, so here are some tips to make your holiday shopping efficient!

1. Make a list of stores and what items you are looking for.​ 

This is the most important step to making your Christmas shopping productive. While it requires some preparation in advance, it is so worth it because when you enter the crazy busy malls and department stores, you will know exactly where to go. Even if you don’t have specific items in mind, just having stores (or sections of stores) on a list is very helpful. 

2. Start early in the morning. 

Stores get busier throughout the day, especially on Fridays and weekends, so start off early. This way you can somewhat beat the crowds, and if you finish early, you can go home and chill (or wrap presents, depending on how close you are shopping to Christmas). 

3. Wear comfortable shoes. 

While this seems silly, don’t let painful shoes be the thing that slows you down when you have a lot of shopping to do. Wear shoes that you are able to stand and move around in easily. 

4. Be patient. 

As the holidays get closer, the stores get busier. Therefore, be prepared to wait in line or have to say, “Excuse me,” a little more often. Try to think of the hustle and bustle of everyone buying presents as exciting, not a pain. 

5. Give yourself a break.

If you are planning on doing a marathon day of shopping, allow a little time in the middle of the day to get lunch or coffee. This way you can take a breather, reorganize and plan for what you still need to do. 

6. Celebrate! 

While it’s so easy to get caught up in the rush for buying presents, once you are done, make time to celebrate and focus on the other aspects of Christmas. Go chill with your family, gaze at the lights in the neighborhood and jam out to some awesome holiday music (I’m lookin’ at you, Pentatonix). 

Good luck with your shopping and happy holidays, collegiettes!

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.