How to Decorate for the Holidays on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We all want the absolute cutest dorm room or apartment for the holidays –  totally Insta-worthy, am I right? However, I barely have enough money to buy presents for the lady bosses in my life. I want to buy them the world and I can’t even buy them a candle. Due to this, I’ve found some helpful hints that can make your living space look like the holidays puked all over – all on a budget.

1. Raid your parents’ house.

Your parents have had years to build up their collections. They probably have stuff passed down from their parents or they have found cute knick-knacks at stores throughout their adult years. My guess is that they don’t go all-out when decorating like they used to when you were a child. Ask them if they have anything to get rid of – they will be happy to get it out of the basement and give it to you!

2. Check out the dollar section or dollar stores.

Target is the love of my life. Their dollar aisle has been supporting me throughout my college years. This aisle will give you inspiration throughout every decorating season for your living space. They have Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas,  and even back-to-school items. My roommates have found the cutest ~sparkly~ Christmas trees at Dollar General. Dollar stores are the perfect places to buy your holiday wrapping paper, gift bags, and tissue paper. Don’t underestimate them.

3. Think outside the box.

Make your own holiday decorations. Pinterest is the best place to research DIY ideas for decorations. My favorite idea is buying $2 stockings, using fabric paint, and making unique stockings for each of you in your hall or apartment. It’s worth a Google. 

4. Split the cost with your roommates

You probably all brought different things to your apartment – couches, kitchen utensils, etc. Decorating makes no difference. If everybody else wants to have decorations but nobody wants to buy them, make a decision to split them with everyone and figure out who’s taking it at the end of your leasing contract. It’ll be worth it.

5. Go green

Use your surroundings – it may sound stupid, but this is probably the cheapest option. Find cranberries and string them. Pick up pinecones and paint them white with paint you have lying around. Go to a Christmas tree farm and ask for the trimmed branches – you can use these as garlands, decorations, etc. Once you have a Christmas tree – even if it is a Charlie Brown Christmas tree – pop a bag of popcorn, use the rest of it you don’t eat, and string it for some decoration.

6. All else fails, check out the stores at the end of the holiday season.

This doesn’t help for this season, but planning ahead is a key. After the holidays, Target and many other stores do 50% off – or more – of their holiday décor. If you’re wanting to get a tree, wait for the end of this season; I know it seems done now, but next season, you will be thanking yourself.

I hope these tips help you decorate for the holidays! If nothing else, go to another friend’s apartment to get in the holiday spirit. Happy holidays, collegiettes!

Photos: cover23, 5

Liz is President of Her Campus at Iowa, and has been in HC Iowa since her freshman year. Her favorite part about Her Campus is Her Conference in NYC each summer — she loves getting to meet other Girl Bosses! She is a junior at the University of Iowa pursuing a Communication Studies degree and is double-minoring in Business Administration and Psychology. Liz wants to be a Social Media Manager for a beauty or lifestyle brand in the future, and would love to move to a big city when she's done with college. In her free time, Liz shops (maybe a little too much), crafts, and watches beauty guru videos on Youtube. Instagram: @lizwarnerr
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.