How to Cope With S.A.D and the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Oh, the winter season. What a time of year: there’s snowball fights, lights all around and music full of good cheer. In our society, there is a lot of encouragement for people to enjoy the jolly holiday at all costs. However, this is not always an option or the reality for people living in the season of the winter months, since there is the overwhelming obstacle of mental health to conquer first. For many, especially those of us in the stress of college away from home, depression is common. The winter, as a result, can additionally be one of the many culprits for the depression you’re already facing. This is often referred to as S.A.D.

Seasonal Affective Disorder, or S.A.D., is a mental illness and form of depression where some individual struggles alongside when the seasons change. Someone is diagnosed with S.A.D. when they have been depressed coinciding with specific seasons for at least two years, and the depressive episodes must be more frequent than non-seasonal depression seasons. This illness affects millions of Americans, and S.A.D is four times more common in women than men. The most common age for S.A.D. overlaps at its prime directly with college students or young adults.

Although S.A.D. is a type of depression, it does not mean an individual with it can’t have other forms of depression or mental health issues or that seasons are the only fault for depression. However, the seasons are often an important attribute to be aware of. Despite suffering from this illness, you don’t have to face it alone. The most important lesson to keep in mind when fighting any form of depression is realizing you are not alone and to continue to hold on –even when life feels unbearable– to help move forward with what you’re struggling. 

Symptoms that are common for individuals suffering from this form of depression include things like: thoughts of suicide, feelings of hopelessness and sadness, oversleeping or not sleeping enough, not eating or eating to much, weight changes, decreased activity, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, irritability, avoidance of social situations, increased sensitivity to social rejection or critique and trouble sleeping. If you don’t have some of these symptoms, or if you do and feel yours are more or less severe, that does not mean your symptoms are not legitimate because every person is different.

The best way to cope with depression in any form is to find the best methods for you. I am not a counselor or a professional, just a fellow S.A.D. patient with methods that have worked for me. Take these tips as you wish, as it is up to you because what you feel will be most beneficial on a person-by-person basis.

1. Start with relating to the weather and your illness.

When it comes to S.A.D., the weather is one of the factors you should consider. When it is cold, it gets dark, and we as humans need the sun to be able to survive and overall live a fulfilling life on an emotional and physical level. Consider having more lights in your room or get outside when the sun is up to get some Vitamin D. There are also effective lamps specifically made for this disorder that you can buy, which really do make all the difference for depression. Being depressed makes you feel dark, so when the weather reflects that it usually only pulls you further away. So, reach for the light to get through the season.  

2. Don’t go at it alone.

The hardest, yet one of the most important actions that you must take for your depression in order to cope, is to not allow to isolate yourself. This is often a challenge, because one of the main components of depression is feeling isolated and having a need to just be left to yourself. Whether it is simply a call home, or a text to a long-time friend, reach out. Even if no one responds, if you can bring yourself to continue to reach out, it means there is hope that you can pull through the depression that you are feeling. If you can even get out of your room once a day, consider that an accomplishment and be proud of yourself. It is important to celebrate every challenge you overcome to keep your head up and hold on hope.

3. Don’t forget to ask for help.

This is one of my own personal struggles as someone who has a lot of pride. Sometimes you might try to convince yourself that you aren’t sad enough to be depressed or that what you’re dealing with is not justified because other people have more to face than you feel you do. You might also struggle for help because sometimes, to be honest, there is a comfort in the loneness of depression that almost feels like a friend. It becomes the norm to feel depressed and it sometimes feels like the only thing you’re good at or understand. However, without help, that is when you lose your last ounce of hope, and no matter what level of depression you’re facing, it is when you lose all hope that there is concern for your safety. Often times suicidal thoughts or attempts can occur, so it is really important to reach out as soon as you can, so that you aren’t in this place before getting help. One of the most effective ways to get help is through counseling. They are neutral listeners for your problems and are skilled in helping people struggling with mental health issues. Additionally, do what works for you, write, go for walks, use your hobbies to express your emotions but, most importantly, never give up.

4. Find daily coping mechanisms.

Because people are their own individuals, it is important to find habits that work for you (and not off someone else’s tools) because everyone is different. But it is also important to make sure you still create these tools in the first place to help yourself. This is because, unlike other forms of depression, you are at least a little bit prepared to face what is to come because you know the likelihood that in the winter there is a possibility of being depressed. The best way to prepare is to do so when you are actually in a more stable place. Maybe in the summer you write yourself words of affirmation to read when winter strikes or you plan how you will talk to a mirror when you feel yourself fading away. Whatever it is, be your own best friend because no matter who else you seek for support, you are still living with you, and it is much easier to face your depression from your own voice of reason rather than when you are in a bad head space.

5. Forgive yourself.

The final–but most important–thing to remember when going through any form of depression is that it is not your fault and that you do not deserve to suffer. When you are in the wave of winter and feeling unworthy of life, it can be easy to be your own worst bully. Resist that temptation to believe when you can, and reach out to your coping mechanisms when you cannot. You are one of millions with depression, so be kind, and remember, it isn’t something you can control or just snap out of. You are strong for facing this mental illness season after season despite how your actual life is going. So, it is critical that you are as kind as you can be so that you can get through the pain as best as possible. The emotions you have are always valid, because you’re living your experience out and feel them and you are only human. However, don’t confuse being valid with being right. It is your choice in how much you want to believe in your thoughts and it is important to take a step back when you can, because they might not always have your best interest at heart. Forgive more than anything else, and you will save yourself more pain than you are already dealing with.

Lastly, I will leave you with this: you are strong for being who you are and facing this awful illness. No matter what anyone tells you, your life has meaning and value, and we need you in it. Don’t let the winter blues get you down, it is alright to be sad once in a while, just never forget to pick yourself back up again and again. It is worth it every time. Every single time.

Resources and cited stats about S.A.D. can be found here.

Photo: Cover, 1, 2, 3  

Writing is my passion, hopefully reading is yours!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.