How to Bundle Up and Still Look Trendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

There is nothing pleasant about winter. It’s cold, wet, sludgy and impossible to find something cute to wear in these weather conditions without freezing. However, just because you are bundled like a marshmallow does not mean you can’t look fashionable while doing so. Here are a few tips to keep cozy and chic, even when it’s below zero.

LAYERS

In this weather, you can get away with wearing seven layers without getting hot. You don’t necessarily have to wear snow pants and five pairs of leggings to stay warm. Try wearing something simple, like a sweater. Then you can top that with a simple cardigan and a patterned infinity scarf. Match it with some jeans, long socks and some boots, and you’re set.

TIGHTS

If you’re like me and hate pants—my closet is composed of 80% dresses—then you may want to invest in some tights. There are so many fun tights that work well with any dress or skirt. They may not be the warmest choice, but it is a much simpler solution than going bare-legged. To make it extra warm, you can also wear outfits like this with long socks and boots.

HATS AND GLOVES

I cannot stress how much happier you’ll be with a cute set mittens paired with a hat. As a kid, I HATED hats and gloves. I thought they were tacky and make me look like a dork. However, there are some really cute ones. You can take the simplistic route and just wear a black hat and gloves, or find some patterned ones that will match your coat.

COATS

You don’t always have to wear the biggest coat you own. There are so pretty warm coats that are still adorable. My personal favorite is the pea coat, but there are always others like the parka. Depending on what you’re wearing underneath, you can choose a matching coat accordingly.

BOOTS

BOOTS ARE THE BEST. These are ultimately the best shoes to wear in this weather. They cover the whole foot, can be accessorized with socks, and there are many kinds. You can make your outfit a bit more stylish with the perfect boot. Combat boots, riding boots, booties—they’re all good!

Any of these can make your big old bundle look fun and fashion-forward. There’s nothing wrong with staying warm, but with these tips, you can do it in style! 

Gracey is a Sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Journalism and Theater. In her spare time, she likes to settle down with a good book and a cup of Earl Gray tea. She aspires to one day be as brilliant and quirky as her idol: Zooey Deschanel.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.