Host a Galentine’s Day Brunch That Would Make Leslie Knope Proud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Valentine’s Day is creeping upon us, which means Galentine’s day is, too. For those of you who don’t know, Galentine’s Day is every February 13 and is a very important day to be celebrated. The holiday originated from the show “Parks and Recreation” and was coined by the one and only Leslie Knope. It’s 24 hours solely dedicated to celebrating your lady friends; a time for placing ovaries over brovaries and putting uteruses before duderuses. Push aside all bros and celebrate your lady sidekicks for their loyalty and fabulousness. Host a brunch-style Galentine’s Day party that would make Leslie Knope proud.

1. Invitations

Invitations should be colorful and cute, encompassing the theme of the party. Hand out or mail these handy printouts from Pizzazzerie to your BFFs.

2. Décor

Charming decorations are very important for a successful Galentine’s day brunch. Make your own decorations! This adorable banner from blog Yellow Bliss Road makes crafting easy; all you need to do is print them out and hang them on ribbon! 

Make a homemade photobooth with this colorful DIY backdrop from Ipsy DIY. Everyone loves a good photobooth, and you’ll capture Galentine’s Day memories. Use fresh flowers and a cute tablecloth to liven up the table scape.

3. Food

As many of us “Parks and Recreation” fans know, Leslie Knope is obsessed with waffles. What better way to celebrate Galentine’s Day brunch than with a waffle bar? This setup by One Sweet Appetite is adorable and easy. Include other savory bites, like these mini quiches from Poet in the Pantry. Serve these cute pink and red chocolate donuts from Love From the Oven for dessert. YUM.

4. Drinks

Serve mimosas for drinks (if you and all of your BFFs are 21, of course). These “next-level mimosa recipes” from Country Living bring the average mimosa to another level of fun. If you and your friends aren’t 21 or prefer non-alcoholic beverages, here’s Buzzfeed’s list of 24 delicious virgin cocktails.

With this Galentine’s brunch setup, you’re guaranteed the girliest Galentine’s Day, full of good food, great conversation and lots of pink. Cheers to friends!

*Photos: Etsy, NBC, Pizzazzerie, Yellow Bliss Road, Ipsy DIY, Brit + Co, One Sweet Appetite, Poet in the Pantry, Love from the Oven, Sugar and Charm

Hannah is a junior at The University of Iowa. She is a student in The UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as well as the Communications Undergrad Program. She is actively involved on campus, and enjoys cooking & working out. She's obsessed with her dog, Toby and hopes to one day work in fashion public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.