Haley Courter: The Actor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Every other magazine interviews actors, so why shouldn’t we?

Meet Haley Courter, if you haven’t had the pleasure of doing so already. She’s a senior pursuing acting at the University of Iowa studying Theatre and Gender, Women’s, and Sexuality Studies. Haley will be performing as one of the lead characters in the University’s upcoming production of Iphigenia Crash Lands Falls on the Neon Shell That Was Once Her Heart (a rave fable), by Caridad Svich.

Luckily, we caught Haley before the intense rehearsals start for the production next week. Once rehearsals start, Haley will be in classes and working 5 days a week from 8 in the morning to 6 at night and then going straight to rehearsal until 11. Of course that does not include weekend rehearsals. As if students didn’t have enough of a busy schedule, try adding on 22 hours of rehearsals a week to classes and a part time job!

(photo of Haley during Makeover as Rosie in 2014)

“The big dream has always been to move to New York,” said Haley on her plans for after graduation. “When I sit down and think about it, I convince myself more and more to take the leap.”

But before Haley takes the leap to the big city, she has to take a different kind of leap. While up and moving to New York to follow your dream is a geographical leap, Haley’s current leap is to become the larger than life Achilles, the once god turned larger than life glam-rock star in Iphigenia Crash Lands Falls on the Neon Shell That Was Once Her Heart (a rave fable.) While Haley’s character, Achilles, is certainly larger than life, the show itself is expected to be one that astounds audiences. It brings to light the corruption of the Mexican governement during the Women of Juarez era where over 300 women went missing, were tortured, and were killed and yet no one has been held responsible for the acts.

“It is without a doubt the biggest challenge I’ve ever been given as an actor,” said Haley as she explained she was not only having to become a character far different from anything she has played in the past, but that she will be working with the music director, Frankie Rose, to create the music she will be performing on stage. Haley says she is looking to artists such as Marilyn Manson and the late David Bowie for inspiration.

To see Haley Court and other talented performers this season, visit the University Theatre Department’s page for details on show times. Tickets are from free to $5 for students, so there are no excuses.

Photo redit to Katie Moffitt and Haley Courter.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.