This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again. Thanksgiving break is over, and it’s the final stretch before a glorious month off before the start of a new semester and new classes. Unfortunately, we all have to get through the last few weeks of classes and finals week. Studying is going to become everyone’s number one priority until they go home for the holidays, but until then, you have to somehow absorb all the information from the past fifteen weeks in order to pass your classes.

Before your cramming sessions begin, however, it’s important to think about how you’re going to fuel your body while you push it to its limits — after all, it can only take so many cups of coffee, slices of pizza and scoops of ice cream. There are foods that contain nutrients and vitamins that will not only keep you healthy, but will help you remember all the information from your notes. While you’re focusing on eating healthy, don’t forget to stay hydrated by drinking lots of water.

Snacking is one way to keep yourself focused; many studies have shown that the act of chewing can help improve your memory and concentration. Tons of snacks are both tasty and healthy,and are easy to munch on while focusing on your notes. Different combinations of snacks foods can works as quick meals, too, especially if you are on the go from exam to exam.

Some ideas for snacks include veggies/pita chips and hummus, trail mix (either homemade or premade), apples and peanut butter, nuts (especially walnuts and pistachios), dark chocolate and yogurt parfaits with fruits and granola. Most of these snacks help boost your immune system, contain hormones and nutrients that lower stress levels, and boost your energy levels.

It’s also important to take the time to eat full meals, especially breakfast. There are foods you can include in your meals that will help you while you’re studying, as well as when you’re taking your tests. For breakfast, which is great fuel for early morning finals and study sessions, try eggs in your favorite style, whole grain toast with peanut butter, fruit salad and whole grain cereals, such as Cheerios, Kix and Kashi Heart to Heart, which is my personal favorite. You can even add fruit on top of your cereal for an added boost. The best fruits to eat for studying are blueberries, bananas, strawberries, grapes and apples.

Lunch and dinner options can be shared and are just as important as breakfast. You still need healthy foods to get you through the rest of your day and to keep your energy levels up. Fish, mainly salmon and other cold-water fish, contain omega-3’s, which are thought to improve memory and brain performance, are always a good idea. If you’re not a big fan of fish, like me, try substituting in flaxseeds, walnuts or foods containing canola oil. Whole grains foods are great, too, especially whole grain pastas and sandwiches on whole grain bread.

Images from Rattler Wellness, Giphy, Huffington Post, All Recipes and Food Network.

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.