Find Your Perfect Student Org at Iowa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The new school year has just begun, and that means it’s time to get involved on campus. Whether you’re coming in as a first-year student looking for a way to get to know people, or you’re a returning student looking to try something new, there is a student org for everybody. Getting started is easy, especially with the student orgs listed below to help you find what you’re looking for.

Dance Marathon

As the largest student group on campus, Dance Marathon is well-known among Iowa students. Dance Marathon is a year-round program that raises money for children with cancer. Students have the opportunity to work their way up to higher positions as they spend more time with the org. Anybody in Dance Marathon will tell you that it’s worth all the hard work — no caffeine, no sleeping, no sitting for 24 hours — to see the smiles on the kiddos’ faces.

earthwords: undergraduate literary review

If you’re someone who loves to write, earthwords is the org for you. The literary review is published every Spring semester, and students involved can also attend open mic readings throughout the school year. 

Club/Intramural sports

For those who love competition, intramurals and club sports are perfect. With a wide variety of options for sports you can play, and with differences in leagues for how well you play, there’s a fit for everybody. 

CHAARG

Working out is hard to fit into your schedule, and it’s even harder to push yourself to get to the gym to actually work out. However, CHAARG offers small group and large group settings, workouts and healthy recipes to make staying fit fun.

Hawkeye Caucus

Hawkeye Caucus allows students to travel to Des Moines to showcase what the University of Iowa is doing in Iowa City and across the state of Iowa. Hawkeye Caucus Day occurs every year, and Herky tags along with the 85 students and 50 programs, organizations, and departments representing the University of Iowa.

CAB

The Campus Activities Board, or CAB, organizes hundreds of different activities, movies and shows for University of Iowa students to enjoy throughout the school year. There are tons of comittees to become a part of, so no matter where your talents lie, you’ll find a place on CAB.

And of course, Her Campus is great for any student interested in writing, photography, graphic design, social media and so much more! If you are interested in joining Her Campus, attend our informational meeting on Wednesday, September 7, at 6:30 p.m. at the Iowa City Public Library in Meeting Room A. 

More information about student orgs at the Univeristy of Iowa can be found at www.uiowa.orgsync.com

Photos: cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.