Fabulous and Fashion Forward: Mary LaPlaca

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

We’ve all had that moment when you’ve been walking downtown in the Ped Mall and you pass a girl wearing a cute and extremely trendy outfit. You think to yourself “Wow, I wished I dressed like that!”

Well, that was my first thought when I met Mary LaPlaca!

Mary is a senior and soon to be graduate here at the University of Iowa. Mary majored in journalism and has a solid background in fashion having interned last summer with designer Max Azria of BCBG. Inspired by style icon Audrey Hepburn, Mary has a cute and fun style full of patterns, prints, and bright colors that match Audrey’s style perfectly! Everytime I see Mary she is dressed to impress from her gorgeously curled hair to her perfectly painted toes.

Mary’s favorite accessories are bold necklaces because they’re so noticeable. “They’re a statement piece that can turn any plain dress into the perfect outfit!”  Another accessory that Mary never leaves the house without is one of her rings. As an eighth grade graduate, Mary’s parents bought her a Tiffany and Co. ring to congratulate her accomplishment. Then, when Mary left for college, she was given another ring, this time a pink sapphire. Mary never leaves the house without one of her rings. “They help to keep me motivated!”

According to Mary, a must-have that every girl needs in her closet is a good pair of classic black pumps. “They match everything, look sophisticated, and make you feel sexy!” Mary finds most of her trendy styles in J. Crew, her favorite store. “The clothes have a classy style that have elements of my personality!”

With summer just around the corner, Mary has begun to stock up with floral prints of all kinds—her favorite summer trend.

My name is Jess. I'm a senior here at the University of Iowa where I am currently studying as an English major. I love all things related to writing, music, and spending time with the people who mean the most to me. I am currently interning for Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature as a Marketing intern. Someday, I hope to work as an editor or proofreader in a publishing house.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.