Different Types of Teas & Their Benefits Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

What’s not to love about tea? 

You can drink it hot or cold, it’s good for you, and it tastes delicious. There are tons of different varieties, so there’s a type of tea for everyone. The different kinds of tea each have their own health benefits, and each one is tasty.

1. Green tea

Green tea is sold everywhere with different add-ins to create new flavors. Green tea is rich in antioxidants, specifically known as catechins. They help prevent cancer and heart disease. It can also help with weight loss and digestive health, making it one of the teas with the most diverse health benefits.

2. Oolong tea

One study showed that women who drank oolong tea burned more fat than those who only consumed water. Oolong tea activates enzymes that break down a type of fat called triglycerides that can be found in the blood. 

3. White tea

Like green tea, white tea contains catechins that help combat cancer and heart disease. In addition, according to the American Cancer society, white tea can help prevent recurrence in breast cancer survivors.

4. Chamomile tea

Chamomile tea can help stunt the growth of cancer cells and prevent diabetes. It also help you sleep, sooth stomach aches and promote healthy skin. 

5. Herbal teas

Herbal teas help fight infections and can be used to fight against nausea, colds, indigestion and sleep disorders. There are plenty of different flavors, too, like peppermint, cinnamon and jasmine to name a few. 

Photos: cover1, 2, 3

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.