Death to the Tree Sweaters!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Apart from the dropping temperatures and changing leaves, Iowans know Autumn is here when the trees are donned with sweaters all over downtown. The knitting group responsible for these decorations call themselves the Tree Huggers, and members of the organization dedicate their time to knitting more than 135 elaborate sweaters for trees around UI’s pedmall area, then remove them just before Spring arrives. 

When the Tree Huggers first started their creative project, what they didn’t know was how much controversy their knitwear would stir within the community. Last Fall, a small group of homeless people protested the decorations because they were indignant that the plants were given warm garments, and they weren’t.

Other residents around Iowa City are critical of the tree sweaters too. Emily MacWilliams, an instructor and poet from the UI Writer’s Workshop, thinks the sweaters might be beneficial in other ways.

“Perhaps they could be better utilized as blankets for homeless people or anyone who needs warmth. Trees already have natural protection against the cold,” MacWilliams said. 

Unlike most holiday decorations, such as string lights or inflatable Santa Clauses, tree sweaters get a lot of heat because they resemble something usable in every day life. UI students who frequently see the trees on campus have a more positive attitude towards the sweaters, however.

Emily Jones, a junior at the university, thinks what Tree Huggers is doing for the city is unique and admirable.

“I like them. They give Iowa City character,” she said.

Others feel more torn about the tree sweaters.

Jaime Alvarez, a student finishing his last year at UI, said: “I like that people are caring about homeless people, but I also appreciate the festive side [of the sweater decorations].” 

What many people don’t know is, the tree sweaters are donated after they are taken down in March. The fabric is cleaned and donated to local charities around Iowa City, and some are tailored into blankets for Iowa City Hospice. If more people knew about the final stage of a tree sweater’s life, perhaps less residents would be up in arms about their presence in the pedmall.

Photo Source: Renée Lepine

Renée is a junior at The University of Iowa, majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.