A Collegiate Guide to a College Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s that time of year—time when everyone leaves campus to spend Thanksgiving with their family and friends back home. But what about the students not fortunate enough to be able to go home? Well, here is a basic guide to having your own College Thanksgiving.

I personally know that most college students are on a pretty tight budget while away at school, so here’s a list of foods that won’t break your piggy-bank, but still give you that traditional Thanksgiving feel. *Most* of these items can be made with a microwave—no stove necessary.

Turkey: Now, here you have two options. You can go for the cheaper pre-packaged turkey or you can splurge a little and get some fresh turkey from the deli. (If you go with the deli option, ask them to slice it thicker. It makes it feel more authentic.) You can either eat the turkey as is or whip up a nice turkey sandwich.

Gravy: Don’t forget a jar of turkey gravy!

Mashed potatoes: While buying a potato or two isn’t that expensive, the easier alternative is instant mashed potatoes. You can get them in a variety of flavors and they actually taste quite delicious. They come in little packages or a slightly larger box depending on how many servings you need.

Cranberry Sauce: Some people might not be use to having cranberry sauce at their holiday meal, but in my family, cranberry sauce is a must have. My personal preference is canned jelly cranberry sauce. It’s another low cost addition to your Thanksgiving meal.

Green Beans: The traditional vegetable selection would have to be green beans. They can be bought fresh or bought canned for convenience. If you’re feeling extra ambitious, you could add cream of mushroom soup and French fried onions to make green bean casserole.

Stuffing: This is a Thanksgiving must have—nothing more traditional than Thanksgiving stuffing. Turkey stove-top stuffing can be found in a ready-to-make box that is the perfect size for a smaller get-to-gather.

Crescent Rolls: Dinner wouldn’t be complete without a basket of buttery, flakey crescent rolls sitting on the table—easy to make and delicious.

Salad: If you want to add a something extra that’s a little healthier, you can add in a salad to your meal. Throw on some dried cranberries or some apples, toasted almonds or walnuts, and a light vinaigrette and you’ll be set.

Pumpkin Pie: The last, and in my opinion best, food that is essential to a Thanksgiving meal is Pumpkin pie. You can buy a pre-made pie at the bakery or buy a frozen piecrust and canned pumpkin pie mix and make your own.

*There are a few exceptions, however, including: stuffing and crescent rolls.

Don’t forget a special holiday drink! Try a mixture of pre-made apple cider and add a shot of Fire Ball for an extra kick. Garnish with a cinnamon stick or a slice of apple.

To top off your perfect collegiate Thanksgiving dinner: Invite anyone else who doesn’t have a special Thanksgiving planned to join you, pop on a football game after the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, and write down a list of everything you’re thankful for. 

Happy Thanksgiving, Collegiettes! HCXO

My name is Jess. I'm a senior here at the University of Iowa where I am currently studying as an English major. I love all things related to writing, music, and spending time with the people who mean the most to me. I am currently interning for Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature as a Marketing intern. Someday, I hope to work as an editor or proofreader in a publishing house.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.