Campus Celebrity Singer Abby Sevcik

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

From a Belmont Bruin to an Iowa Hawkeye, singer/songwriter Abby Sevcik has made her way to this week’s campus celebrity!

Abby spent an amazing year and a half at Belmont University in Nashville Tennesse, where she pursued her love and dream for singing. While at school Abby met other musicians who loved recording just as much as she does. Pretty soon they were making their own videos with songs that are still pending on itunes. Although she had fun in Nashville, Abby knew that education was important and coming back to her home roots would be a better option for her future. 

This is Abby’s first year at the University of Iowa and she is loving it!

Abby is very involved on campus. She spends her time studying for her degree in communications, and also joined the sorority Kappa Alpha Theta. She is currently auditioning for a singing position with The Salt Company at the Englert Theater. The Salt Company is a college ministry of Veritas Church in Iowa City. Abby also sings at open mic nights at The Mill bar with her friend, Drew Distler, also a student at the University of Iowa.

“Iowa is everything I’ve ever wanted in a college.” Abby said. “The football games, the tailgates, the opportunities, the environmet.”

The most frightening moment Abby ever had while singing took place at the Bluebird Diner in Nashville. The Bluebird venue has gained the most recognition worldwide where songwriter’s of all genre of music perform their own songs. Abby sat down on the stool on the stage and when she opened her mouth nothing had come out.

“I’m always nervous to sing in front of people and I get stage fright every single time,” she said. “But this was different, everything went blank and the whole room turned black.” She later watched a video of her performance and realized that she has no rememberence of anything that had happened. She had performed a song she had written like all the other performers do at The Bluebird Diner.

When asked what advise she would give to those who inspire to let their voices heard or who are already on that path, Abby said,” There is no exact time to do something. Make a decision fast, and make it a good one, because the moment will pass you by. People will try to tell you what to do but you can’t listen to them. I was always afraid that people back home would think that I gave up because I am now at the University of Iowa, but I really don’t care anoymore what anyone else thinks. I’m doing this for me.”

If you’re feeling for a great holiday song to help get you through finals week, check out Abby’s “You’re My Christmas” music video with Dylan Byrnes and Taylor Agan.

Studying journalism and political science at the University of Iowa. Interested in magazine reporting and writing, health and fitness, blogging, and photography.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.