Campus Celebrity: Go-Getter Stacy Rosch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

From walking to class on the Pentacrest to walking the red carpet, singer Stacy Rosch takes the cake as the closest campus celebrity to rise to fame with her talented voice and dreams of making it in the entertainment world.

Originally from Glen Ellyn, Illinois, Rosch is a 22-year-old senior at the University of Iowa, studying communications and human relations. Her success is driven by her passion and dedication to her music, as she spends hours recording and writing songs as well as teaching herself how to play the guitar.

Rosch is the most humble, talented, and kindest person I have ever met. It’s no wonder her accomplishments are monumental with her down-to-earth personality and determination to make her dreams come true. Her story will for sure have you hunting her down for an autograph!

Where did your journey begin?

It has been a crazy ride with many twists and turns, but I have enjoyed every second of it. I sometimes consider myself somewhat of a nomad, because I like to move around a lot from place to place, and I need to mix things up every so often. When I was a senior in high school, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Freshman year, I attended the University of Louisville in Kentucky. I quickly learned that this school was not for me, but had I not had that experience there, I wouldn’t have learned more about myself and what I really wanted for my education and future. Everything happens for a reason, right? I strongly believe that this is the case, always.

Why did you transfer to the University of Iowa?

I wanted to be a part of something bigger, so I transferred. Immediately I knew that this was the best decision I could have made for myself. Who knew that even bigger and better opportunities lied ahead that would change my path in life completely. Going into my junior year, I made one of the hardest decisions I could have made. I decided to leave school, leave everything behind, my friends and family, pack my car with all my belongings and move out to California.

Why California?

I had gotten an amazing job offer to live and work with family friends of mine that happened to be in the entertainment industry. They have been on shows such as One Tree Hill, Revenge, The Goldbergs, just to name a few. And even recently in Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore’s newest movie, Blended. This was my dream, going out to LaLa land and making it big as a singer. I had the best eight months of my life living out here. I met the most amazing and interesting people, and I have never learned more about myself then when I was actually following my dream.

How were you pursuing your dreams once you made it to Cali?

I got to work on sets, and also attend red carpet events. What was crazy is that people were actually starting to know who I was, and listen to my music! I started getting fan pages and meeting more and more high profiled people, and it was very surreal. It is the best thing that could have ever happened to me, and I will forever be grateful for these people in my life for providing me with these changes to become a better me and follow my heart. Everyday was a different crazy adventure of going to the stylist, or going to work on set last minute, or rushing to turn in adutition tapes for a different role. Sometimes we would leave for set at about 4:30 a.m. and not get back until midnight, so lots of long days. I love having something different to do everyday because I don’t like boring routines.

What was it like to live near Hollywood?

It took me awhile to get used to meeting different celebrities, that’s for sure. It’s still hard to believe that I’ve been at the same events as people like Jake Gyllenhaal, Jennifer Lawrence and even singers like Adam Levine. It was really eye opening for me to meet these talented stars and realize just how down to earth they are, they were all really cool and fun to hang out with. Walking the red carpet was a dream come true but it can be overwhelming. There are a million different photographers calling your name for a picture and I haven’t quite mastered the perfect look yet, but hopefully that will only get better once I nail my signature look. Hollywood is glamorous like they say, but it is hard because you have to be able to get back up after you’ve been knocked down and keep fighting for what you want. It can take a million no’s from people before you get that yes. It was definitely a life changing experience.

Why did you leave your glamorous lifestyle and return to Iowa?

Now here comes the plot twist. I ended up heading back to the University of Iowa to finish my education. Eventually, I realized that I really wanted to finish my degree before pursuing my singing career head on. I needed to grow more personally before I was ready to accept all the responsibilities that came along with being in the lime light. I wanted to make sure I would always keep a level head and not let the atmosphere of Hollywood change who I was. I realized that I can keep up with my music still while I am out here and maintain the networking contacts I made by traveling back and forth over breaks and long weekends. I am balancing my studies as well as my career and I have never felt more empowered. I can follow my dreams and also graduate from a university all at the same time.

How have you kept up with your music after returning to Iowa?

I actually have my own microphone and recording equipment that I can use just in my room. It is probably the best investment I have ever made. I collaborate with other artists across the country, which is so awesome to be able to do something like that. I get instrumentals sent to me just through e mail, and then I will record my vocals from them and send them right back. I cover anything from rap songs to pop, and I like to make them more acoustic sounding. Singing for me, is also a great way to relieve stress and relax, so it is also a great study break for me when school can get really stressful, but I always make sure to be putting school work first when needed. It is really exciting and rewarding to notice that all my hard work and dedication is starting to pay off. After graduation, I plan on moving back out to California and picking up right where I left off. I hope to continue growing and learning in my experiences and becoming a better person in the process, and I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for me.

Which artists do you collaborate with? How have they inspired you?

Most recently, I have been collaborating with the rap article, TY. We have done a couple of songs together for his EP, and we are currently working on more. Artists like TY inspire me through their own individuality and creativity because we both bring our own ideas to the projects. They encourage me to keep pursuing my dreams and help me to thrive so I can reach a higher potential. When I see other artists working hard on their music, and see how passionate they are, it motivates me to work twice as hard.

What is your favorite cover song so far?  

Right now my favorite cover song is actually my most recent, Ghost by Ella Henderson. This one is my favorite because it really challenged my vocals and I wanted to individualize it to my voice. I worked a lot harder on this cover than my other covers, so I was happier with the finished product. I try to make as many covers as I can, but usually it ends up being about 3-5 covers a month.

Do you have additional advice for musicians who are thinking of moving to the West coast to pursue their dreams?

My advice would be to never ever get discouraged! Not everybody is going to like your music, and that is perfectly fine. There will also be people who do love your music and who are cheering you on 100 percent of the way. Take their positive energy wherever you go! I also want to emphasize the importance of asking for help whenever you need it or using whatever networking skills you have, because that is really important. I wish everyone the best of luck in whatever endeavors they may take on, and remember to always follow your dreams.

Studying journalism and political science at the University of Iowa. Interested in magazine reporting and writing, health and fitness, blogging, and photography.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.