Campus Celebrity: Brittany Antuna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Meet the ever so fierce campus celeb- Brittany Antuna!!

(Its not Christmas, but ^ cute)

Brittany Antuna is a 20-year-old sophomore at the University of Iowa hailing from Wheaton, Illinois. Brittany keeps herself (super) busy studying as a Health and Human Physiology Health Promotion major. You may recognize her around campus wearing her sorority letters (ΔΔΔ), as she is the president of Delta Delta Delta!!

Even though Brittany is a campus celeb – she’s just like the rest of us (whaaaat!). Believe it or not she has pet peeves, loves a fruity froyo and shares some of the best guilty pleasures (Tay Swift!!!) 

Why did you decide to attend the University of Iowa?

When I first came here, I just liked the feel of the campus. I decided to come here mainly for the psychology program, but then ended up switching my major. I’m glad that I ended up staying with Iowa anyways. I can’t imagine going to school anywhere else.     

Describe your roll as president of Delta Delta Delta:

It’s tough.. It’s practically like having a job, but working with your closest friends. I love it. I pretty much have to keep close contact with nationals, executive office, the FSL office on campus, the 150 girls in the chapter, our house mom (Robin- she’s the best), and all the officers working in our chapter. (Plus answering a ton of emails). But I’m so lucky to spend most of my time outside of classes with these girls. It’s quite an informational experience being president. I never knew how much work that the older girls did before I took this role.

Why did you decide to join Greek life?

I decided about a week before recruitment that I was going to join. My older sister, Brina, who goes to Indiana is in Zeta Tau Alpha and felt so strongly about her chapter. She told me I would meet some of my closest friends by joining and it would also be a great networking opportunity and she was right. I was extremely hesitant going through recruitment and felt like I would never fit in anywhere, but I am so glad I decided to join Greek Life. 

What is your favorite part of being Greek/a Tri Delta?

Spending late nights talking in Maggie/Ali’s or Natasha/Alexa’s room (or at Sig Nu most of the time on weekends…), just being with my closest friends all the time pretty much. I’ve met so many incredible people being a member of Greek Life and being a Tri Delta and I can’t imagine being at school without them. Even spending 8 hours straight in the library with these people makes it much more tolerable.

What’s your favorite thing about Iowa?

The rec (one of the main reasons I want to stay here this summer honestly). Also the campus in general!

Favorite memory you’ve had at Iowa?

There are too many. I’ll think of one memory like a day at tailgate, and then remember something else like moving into the house and rooming with Alexa, and then one favorite day turns into a favorite year. 

How do you balance your schoolwork and social life while being president for Tri Delta?

You don’t. You wing it. You cross your fingers and pray that everything gets done.. Or you get 4 hours of sleep by spending long hours at the library and waking up early to go back to the library. Luckily, I only have Tuesday/Thursday classes this semester. so I spend Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the library after going to the gym unless I have meetings or anything like that.

What’s a typical day as president?

Waking up to multiple texts or emails, going to class or going to the gym, answering emails and texts throughout the day, and trying to get homework done before meetings that I have that night usually. There really isn’t a typical day because one day I’m chasing down 7 stolen composites (thank goodness that’s over– for now), and the next I’m in a recruitment meeting. It really just depends. 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10?

Hopefully by then I’ll have received my masters in nutrition/dietetics. I’ll probably get certified in personal training just for fun. I really don’t know where I see myself yet, but it’ll definitely be working in the health field. 

NICKNAME: Brit, Tuna, Prez, Sista Prez, Antuna, Big Tuna

FAVORITE QUOTE: Any line from She’s the Man if that counts or the typical “everything happens for a reason”. 

FAVORITE DOWNTOWN IOWA CITY RESTAURANT: Formosa

FRO YO OR ICE CREAM? WHAT FLAVOR? Frozen yogurt over Ice cream. I’m a big fan of anything fruit flavored like if they have pineapple or something like that.

FAVORITE TV SHOW? Currently obsessed with Dexter. Also a big fan of HIMYM and Modern Family. 

FAVORITE MOVIE? She’s the Man, The Dark Knight, The Blind Side, as you can see I’m really bad at making decisions.. 

FAVORITE PLACE TO STUDY ON CAMPUS? Second floor of the Main Lib (East Asia or the cubicles) otherwise my room if it’s quiet enough.

WHATS YOUR JAM RIGHT NOW? Again, because I’m so indecisive I don’t have a single song that I’m in love with right now. If Sugar, Jubel, Trap Queen, Where Are You Now, Shut Up and Dance, Want To Want Me, or Elastic Heart were on I’d be pretty content.

GUILTY PLEASURE: listening to Taylor Swift or eating peanut butter/cookie butter.

FUN FACT NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT YOU: I hate the sound of cardboard. Never open a pizza box or package when I’m in the room. I’m begging you.

PET PEEVES: Loud chewers… and when people just stand next to a machine I’m using at the gym and stare at me until I’m done. Or when people talk unnecessarily loud.

Channeling my inner Elle Woods to get through under grad.    
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.