The Best Things About Fall in Iowa City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Iowa City is a great place to be, regardless of the season. However, here at Her Campus, we think an Iowa City fall just can’t compare to others. Here are some of the best things about our beautiful college town during the crisp fall months.

The Color of the Leaves 

No one can deny; Iowa’s campus is undoubtedly the prettiest during fall. The colors of the leaves are breathtaking on the Pentacrest or on the riverbank of the Iowa River. Photo ops are endless during the fall season in Iowa City!

Football

School spirit is strong during the fall season. With events like Homecoming and tailgating, University of Iowa football is everything.

Wilson’s Apple Orchard

During the fall months, a trip to Wilson’s Apple Orchard is a must. Offering fresh, self-pick apples and pumpkins, Wilson’s is a fun fall activity to do with friends or family. They also offer delicious treats, like fresh apple donuts and turnovers…YUM!

The Weather

The perfectly chilly temps in Iowa City during fall are perfect for bon fires and scarves. These in-between temperatures are to be enjoyed before the more than chilly Iowa winter arrives.

Iowa City Farmer’s Market

The Iowa City Farmer’s Market is a fall activity that can be enjoyed by many. Through October, vendors sell local produce and homemade goods. It’s located in the Chauncey Swan Ramp (by the IC the Police Station) and is Wednesdays from 5-7 p.m. and Saturdays 7:30 a.m.-noon.

Cozy Fall Drinks

Local favorites like Java House and Teaspoons start serving their cozy fall flavors like Autumn Spice coffee and warm apple cider.

Local 5K Events

If you’re into running and charity, fall is a perfect time in Iowa City for you. With 5Ks benefitting everything from Dance Marathon to Animal Shelters, Iowa City and the surrounding areas hold countless charity running events.

Unique Fall Fashions

Iowa City’s cute boutiques and shops offer one-of-a-kind clothing that other cities can’t offer. Check out shops like Revival and Domby for cozy styles.

Halloween Activities

Does “haunted corn maze” sound right up your alley? Iowa City’s haunted maze, called “Field of Screams,” is open the last 3 weekends in October, and the profits benefit local charities.

What are some of your favorite things about Iowa City in the fall?

*Photos via Her Campus, RootsRated, Flickr

Hannah is a junior at The University of Iowa. She is a student in The UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as well as the Communications Undergrad Program. She is actively involved on campus, and enjoys cooking & working out. She's obsessed with her dog, Toby and hopes to one day work in fashion public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.