The Best Outdoor Study Spots at Iowa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The sun is shining, flowers are blooming, and everybody wants to spend their time outside. While we’d all like to just lounge around and sunbathe, school is still in session, and we still have to do homework and study. 

With a campus as beautiful as Iowa’s, it’s not hard to find a spot to be outside and do your homework.

The Pentacrest

It’s the basic outdoor study space for any Iowa student. There’s plenty of space on the Pentacrest for group studying or studying on your own, and it’s easy to find a place where you can run to grab some snacks or a meal. Both sides of the Pentacrest are full of green grass and trees to provide shade, and you’ll probably find some of your friends there, too.

The Old Capitol

The steps of the Old Capitol are prime real estate for studying…if you can get there fast enough to claim a spot. Leaning against the gigantic columns with the gorgeous view of campus might get a bit distracting sometimes, but there is plenty of room to spread out your work, especially if you have a lot of papers and information — just watch out for the wind.

T. Anne Cleary Walkway

Along the T. Anne Cleary Walkway there are a tons of tables and benches that are perfect for studying or reading. All the shade the trees provide will help keep you cool and out of the glare of the sun, too.

Pappajohn Business Building Courtyard

To be honest, the Pappajohn Business Building is a great place for studying yearround. But it’s outdoor courtyard has plenty of seating, and Pat’s Diner is inside the building if you need food. It’s pretty much a win-win situation.

Along the Iowa River/Behind the IMU

If you go outside of the River Room or walk around to the back of the Iowa Memorial Union, there are stone steps and grass to sit on and do homework. It’s peaceful, and not many people know about it, so it’s easy to get lost in your own thoughts and focus on your studying.

Photo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5cover

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.