jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 9 Stages of Reuniting with Your College Bestie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Being in college is great because you have a whole new set of friends that feel like family in your home away from home. They are your backbone and a huge part of why you love being at college. However, in the summers, everyone mostly goes their separate ways, whether that be going back home, taking on an internship or studying abroad. While it’s great to be back with friends from home or making new friends elsewhere, I know I always miss my friends from college. Coming back this week made me excited for a new adventure but also brought me back to my college bestie. I’d like to say we’re unpredictable, but our reunion was pretty typical, as follows.

1. You see them, and you immediately have the biggest, most embarrassing fangirl reaction.

There is way too much screaming and hugging, and everyone in a 20-foot radius is staring, but you just really do not care.

2. You try and play it cool, as though you didn’t spend the whole summer missing them.

Be cool, be cool, don’t be more excited than they are.

3. You talk up your summer to try and seem like life without your bestie isn’t completely tragic, but you can’t seem to convince yourself that’s true.

Oh, you know, the summer was great, I had a lot of fun at home…

4. The two of you revisit every bit of gossip that you had to share via text because in-person details are always better.

Okay, so this guy asked you out, but then you’re not together, and wait what was that other thing? Wait, just start over again..

5. You begin to realize that there is no point in denying that you’ve been lost without them for the past few months, and you essentially spend the next hour sweet talking each other.

You haven’t gotten to tell her how awesome she is all summer, and you really need to make up for it.

6. Every night is girls night with her, causing her to become the star of all your social media because obviously you two need to spend a lot of time catching up.

Did you even go out if you didn’t get a pic??

7. You start using all of the same catch phrases again, and everyone is annoyed as hell with the two of you.

People just don’t understand how cute it is when you and your bestie finish each others sentences.

8. Eventually you get used to your bestie again, and you’re fully caught up with everything going on in their life.

You know the ins and outs, the good the bad and the ugly, and you wouldn’t have it any other way!

9. Once again, you sarcastically rule the world with your amazing friendship.

Watch out, world: the girls are back.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Emily is a sophomore at the University of Iowa studying Communication Studies and Event Planning. She is a member of Alpha Chi Omega and her plans for her future are to simply eat so many waffles she becomes Leslie Knope.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.