jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Things You Wish Mom Would Send in a Care Package

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

1. A water purifier

Whether you’re in a dorm or an apartment, nothing tastes as good as home water. Chances are, the water is coming from a dinky water fountain in the hallway that is entirely too communal to be sanitary. This sweet water pitcher from Target is the perfect defense against those gross water germs. 

2. Tanning lotion 

You’re probably hitting that point in the school year where your memory of summer is fading with your tan lines. You probably could’ve even been Casper for Halloween if a tutu or eye glitter could’ve been incorporated somehow. And let’s face it, a container of Jergens natural glow is $8.99 on sale. That’s the cost of a you pick two from Panera. #priorities

3. Leftover Halloween candy 

You know it’s there. Sitting in a bowl on the foyer table. And you also know that because you’re away at college, no one in your house is eating any of it. And you wouldn’t want it to go bad. That would just be wasteful. 

4. Coupon mail 

Before going away to school, you may have forgotten to change your mailing address for all of your favorite stores. Now all of your precious $40 off $100 Express coupons and free panty from VS offers are expiring without every being put into your wallet. And the holiday season is upon us. You don’t have money for full priced presents; you’re a broke college student. Coupons are necessary. 

5. The winter boots you didn’t want to need 

Everyone has those really clunky, rubber smelling boots sitting in their garage that they hate wearing because they don’t complement skinny jeans and you can’t tuck your sweatpants neatly into them. Too bad they are the comfiest things when walking around in rain or snow. But denial convinced you to leave them out of the boxes of shoes you brought to school. Now that the weather is changing, you realize the error of your ways and are begging for mom to send the boots she probably purchased without your permission. 

6. Restaurant gift cards 

Forget the box of cookies or bag of Doritos; you want real food prepared by someone other than yourself or the student worker in the dining hall. Sadly, you aren’t the chef you thought you’d become while living off campus with your own kitchen, and dorm food on Pinterest isn’t always successful (insert sad picture of cookie dough on waffle iron here). So in reality, you’re desperately hungry and splurging on guac at Chipotle or a decent bacon cheeseburger sounds pretty perfect.

7. Fuzzy socks 

Yeah you know the ones I’m talking about. They’re a few sizes too big with penguins or frogs or both on them and they make your feet feel like they’re walking on a cloud instead of walking to class. And it’s starting to get cold. No one likes cold toes. 

8. A hug

Because who doesn’t need a big bear hug from mom during midterms? 

(All images courtesy of pinterest.com)

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.