stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways To Live A Healthier 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s a new year, which means you’ve most likely made some New Year’s resolutions. When you think of a healthier 2018, it is probably something along the lines of working out every day till you can’t feel your body and only eating salads. Being healthy doesn’t always mean body image, it can also mean  being healthier mentally and physically. Here’s a seven ways to make your 2018 a little healthier:

1. Floss

Although it may sound silly, flossing is super important. Your dentist wasn’t lying to you! Flossing not only helps your gums, but can clean your teeth better than brushing. Although it isn’t very fun, it is a small step you can do every night that will brighten your smile, strengthen your teeth and help your gums. It’s worth the two minutes!

2. Less electronics

Get off your phone (but finish reading this article). Make it a point to put your phone down more throughout the day. When you show up to class a little early and are waiting for the teacher to show up, don’t pull out your phone. Instead, take a few minutes to settle into your environment and breathe. Don’t take your phone everywhere with you, it’s never good to be too attached to your phone!

3. Think of five things to be thankful for everyday

This is a huge thing that can contribute to helping you have a positive and healthy mental state. Listing five things (or more) a day that you are thankful for really helps you put your life into perspective. So, you didn’t pass your chemistry test? That’s okay. You have parents who love you, you get to attend a college, you live in a highly developed country that most people die trying to get into, you have amazing friends and you have a roof over your head!

4. Sleep more

It’s hard to find time in the day to take a nap, especially as college students. However, if you find enough time in the day to take a 20-minute power nap, you’ll find that will be all you’ll need! If there is no way you can nap, do your best to go to bed 15-30 minutes earlier then you normally do.

5. Surround yourself with positive people

Positive energy is contagious. When you surround yourself with people who hate their life on a daily basis and are always trying to “out-sad” you on how horrible things are for them, you’re most likely going to pick up on those negative vibes. Instead, surround yourself with people who think every day is a blessing.

6. Stretch

My mother always told me, “stretch while you’re young, your body will thank you when you’re older.” Just stretching five minutes a day can help you maintain and even gain some flexibility. Wake up five minutes earlier and do a few stretches before starting your day or right before you go to bed.

7. Drink Water

Not only does water help flush out the toxins in your body, it is also a healthy habit to get into. Try to drink anywhere from 40-70 oz. a day.

Here’s to living a healthier 2018!

Photos: Cover 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

My name is Claudia Jannes, and I am a junior at the University of Iowa! I am a English and creative writing major in hopes to become a high school English teacher. I am thankful for her campus for giving me a voice on campus and on the internet!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.