lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Reasons Long Distance Relationships Are Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Let’s face it: long distance relationships are hard. They take a lot of commitment, time and love. These relationships can be even harder in college when we already have school, friends and everything else to think about. Before I got into a long distance relationship about three years ago, I probably would have said that they aren’t worth the struggle and heartache, but now I have a totally diferent perspective. Yes, they might not be easy, but the best relationships never are. Here are some of the reasons why long distance relationships are definitely worth the struggle, even in college. 

1. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

While the time apart isn’t always fun, it definitely makes you realize what you miss most about your S.O. It gives you a break to evaluate all of the positive parts about your significant other that maybe you haven’t noticed when you were always together. For example, you might realize just how nice it is to have someone to binge watch your favorite show with. While this might make you a little sad, it will help you cherish the moments that you do have with your boyfriend or girlfriend.         

2. It will take your relationship to the next level 

Being in a long distance is a commitment. Maintaining the relationship takes a lot of effort, and you have to commit to waiting for your significant other. It strengthens bonds and reveals how committed you are to the other person in the relationship (and vice versa). Getting through a long distance relationship and the challenges that accompany it is a huge accomplishment, and your relationship will be stronger because of it. 

3. You will learn more about yourself

The time alone will help you to focus on yor independance and gain more insight on your life. It is important for both you and your relationship that you are able to make yourself happy without the help of your S.O. You will learn more about your feelings toward your significant other and will even learn more about what you need in life. This independence will help you thrive, and you will know that you can do things on your own. However, it is also nice knowing that your support system is only a phone call away.  

4. You will have more time

While it might sound a little selfish, there is definitely less distraction compared to having a boyfriend who lives close or goes to the same school. This creates a lot more time that you can fill by doing things with your friends, taking time to relax and focusing on your future. You can go ahead and read that book that you haven’t had time for or go on a girls only vacation with your bffs. While you might be missing your S.O., it is easy to turn the situation into a positive one rather than a negative one. 

5. It keeps the relationship more exciting

In a situation like this, you have to figure out ways to keep the relationship alive. Whether it be Skype dates, sending care packages or “open when” letters, you will be doing things that are very different compared to people in traditional relationships. This different dynamic can be exciting, and you will have great memories down the road. 

6. Home becomes a person rather than a place

While most people might not choose to be in a long distance relationship, I truly believe that it is completely worth it with the right person. You know that someone is worth it when borders can’t even stop you from being together. There are positives and negatives, and these relationships are difficult but can can also be extremely rewarding in the end. Nothing is better than when you finally get to be with the person that you love after a while of not being together, and that feeling is worth it all.

First year Psychology student at The University of Iowa. Made of big dreams and a lot of coffee.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.