5 Ridiculous Things Female Football Fans Have Heard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Despite the fact that it’s 2017, it has been brought to my attention that many people say absurd things to female football fans, and I am here to educate. I, a 20-year-old female, am a football fan. Yes, that’s right. You heard it here first, folks. I like college football and professional football, and I watch it all for myself. Watching football has been a tradition that my brother, and I have shared for ages. Throughout my entire life I have been interrogated and judged by both men and women, so I decided to share my top five annoying things I’ve personally encountered. Grab some popcorn and enjoy my pain.

1. When people assume your clothes with NFL logos have to belong to your boyfriend and not you. 

No this is not my boyfriend’s or my father’s or my brother’s or my platonic male friend’s or anybody else’s besides MINE.

2. When you get interrogated in your middle school PE class about unnecessary facts about players from 30 years ago.

You’re a Green Bay Packers fan?? What was the quarterback from 30 years ago’s high school, and how many touchdowns did he throw during high school versus college versus his time in the NFL? BOI CHILL.

3. When there’s absolutely no possible way you know anything about rankings.

Dude Bro #1 to Dude Bro #2 in class: “Yo dude, Julio Jones is the best ranked wide receiver right now.”

Other Dude Bro #2: “Yeah I believe that. That dude has mad skills.”

Me: “Oh, it’s actually Antonio Brown..”

Dude Bro #2: *whips out phone aggressively searching the internet to prove me wrong,* “What that’s impossible…. Oh…. Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

4. When people think you only like football for attention.

“That’s smart — being a football fan will make you really attractive to guys!”

Um no no no no no this has nothing to do with making men attracted to me. I am an independent woman who doesn’t need a man to enjoy sports. 

5. When getting mansplained to is a daily occurrence.

https://giphy.com/ 

Amber is a junior at the University of Iowa double-majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications as well as Ethics and Public Policy with a specialization in Political Science and is minoring in Criminology. Amber hopes to attend law school after she finishes her undergrad. When she isn't busy with school, you can find her obsessing over Game of Thrones, the Green Bay Packers, the Iowa Hawkeyes, animal gifs and videos, shopping, food, and travel. She has been to 17 countries so far! Amber is an active news junkie and loves to argue about literally anything. If you have any questions or comments you can reach her at amber-crow@uiowa.edu.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.