This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Have you ever started watching a show about high school or college and noticed the actors look so much older than their characters? Well I have, so here are nine TV shows and movies that cast actors whose age did not match the character.

1. The Vampire Diaries

Stephen

Paul Wesley was 27 when he was cast to play eternally 17 year old Stephen Salvatore, and while his character may not have aged, 35 does not look the same as 17.

Damon

Ok, Vampire Diaries casting department, while you chose great (and attractive) actors, Ian Somerhalder does not look 25, especially when he is almost 40.

2. Riverdale

Archie

We all wished boys our age looked like KJ Apa when we were 15.

Veronica

While not the worst example, Camila Mendes certainly does not look 15.

3. The Amazing Spider-Man

Peter Parker

Spider-Man is supposed to be 15… not 29!

4. Smallville

Clark Kent

A 14 year old Clark Kent (otherwise known as Superman) is played by Tom Welling, who was 24 when the show began.

5. Pretty Little Liars

The entire group

Lucy Hale is 27, Shay Mitchell is 30, Ashley Benson is 27, and Troian Bellasario is 31. All of them play 16 year olds, and they sure don’t look like it.

6. Glee

Finn

Cory Montieth was 27 when the show first begins and plays a sophomore in high school.

Puck

Mark Salling was 12 years older than his character and the age difference certainly showed.

7. Grease

Rizzo

Stockard Channing is almost twice the age of her 17 year old character.

Sandy

Olivia Newton John is 28 when she plays clueless Sandy Dumbrowski.

Danny Zuko

John Travolta was 24 years old when he was cast to play 17 year old T-Bird Danny Zuko.

Sonny

Michael Tucci was 32 when he portrayed T-Bird Sonny in Grease.

8. Any movie made before the 1970s

Audrey Hepburn is 34 when she plays an 18 year old in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, James Dean was 24 when he played a high schooler in Rebel Without a Cause, and Vivian Leigh was 26 when she played 18 year old Scarlett o’Hara.

9. Sabrina The Teenage Witch

This extra

No explanation needed…

Casting actors and actresses much older than their characters can be detrimental to young girls’ and boys’ self image because they do not look like the people in high school or middle school on TV. At the same time, seeing someone trying to play the part of a younger generation can be very funny.

Caroline is a Freshman Early Childhood Education major at the University of Delaware. She enjoys dogs, writing, and netflix. She comes from the beautiful Sarasota, Florida. 
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda