“What do you want to be when you grow up?” Jessie Chris at UD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

We’ve all been faced with this question since we could formulate sentences, but how many of us actually stick to our dreams of being president, or astronaut? As we get older our interests change as do our dream jobs, except for one 18-year-old girl who has known since she was little that she was meant to be a country singer. Jessie Chris may be young, but she’s taking the music industry by storm. I had the opportunity to meet with the up and coming country star last week on her visit to the University of Delaware, and got to know the vibrant and bubbly personality behind the music.

Jessie grew up in Boston, Massachusetts living the life of a competitive high-diver when she decided to pursue a career in country music. After years of limiting her talent to the confines of her bedroom and pining over artists like Rascal Flatts, the band whose songs were among the first Jessie taught herself to play on guitar, her parents agreed to take Jessie to Nashville to record her first EP. Entitled “Wildfire,” Jessie croons over life experiences and the ups and downs of her journey as an artist through her genuine and heartfelt lyrics.

As far as the ups and downs of her career, Jessie has learned to roll with the punches. When faced with criticism Jessie says she “takes it all in like a sponge.” She’s learned that in such a competitive industry you have to take the criticism as it comes without letting it get you down. She is also a strong believer in standing up for yourself, and never letting anyone compromise who you are as an artist. In spite of the busy and chaotic life of touring and making music, Jessie remains eager and full of excitement throughout her performances.

When asked about her hopes for the future, she dreams of one day performing at Gillette stadium on her own headlining tour. Until that day comes, here’s wishing all the luck and success to Jessie! Be sure to check her out on Youtube, @JessieChris!

I've got the age of a young adult, with the appearance of a small child. But it's like Shakespeare said, "Though she be but little, she is fierce!"5'1" Junior Mass Communications major, novice guitar player, and serious booknerd. 
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda