IMG 8098jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 8098jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

A Warm Welcome to Her Campus at The University of Delaware From Your Campus Correspondent, Kaylee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

In February of 2017, I decided to transfer colleges. Although I was uncertain where this decision would lead me, it has turned out to be better than I could have ever imagined. After transferring, I learned to live life based off of the unexpected. I did not expect to leave my previous institution, I did not expect to ultimately end up at The University of Delaware and I did not expect to major in Public Policy having come over from a tentative degree in Communications. I also could have never predicted that I would become the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus here at UD with only limited leadership experience as well as a limited time being at my new university. Yet here I am, living in this new reality and hopefully making the absolute most out of it.

I first began writing for Her Campus my freshman year of college for Penn State University’s pink level chapter. That semester was at a time when as a super motivated freshman, I wanted to involve myself in absolutely everything. I wrote for four different publications on campus, participated in the Italian Student Society, worked a part time job and still somehow managed to pull myself together enough to end up leaving Penn State with two Dean’s list recognitions and a transfer acceptance letter for The University of Delaware. How I got from there to where I am now is a bit blurry, yet I will always have Penn State to thank for being the fresh start that I needed to get out of my comfort zone and realize that my true passion in life is writing.

Coming to Delaware, I had no idea what to expect. I was nervous to meet my roommates, nervous to navigate my way around town and nervous that my mother would be visiting me every weekend now that I only lived 20 minutes away. However, one thing that I was certain about was that I wanted to continue writing for Her Campus. Although my roommate situation turned out to be great, I can generally find my way around campus now and I luckily see my family the perfect amount, there was still one thing missing at Delaware for me – Her Campus. Since Her Campus at the university faded out before I got here I sent the old Campus Correspondent an email as a first step to restart the old chapter. This ended up being the perfect place to start making my dreams of bringing Her Campus here a reality. Amazingly enough, within two months, my name was on Her Campus at The University of Delaware’s page as Campus Correspondent.

Starting this chapter has taken quite a lot of work and support, but I am beyond excited to finally launch and once again welcome Her Campus to The University of Delaware. It’ll take time to get the chapter to the place that I’d like it to be, but in this unpredictable reality where anything can happen, I dream for the positives in life and will always work towards making them happen. Her Campus is no different for me.

Ultimately I hope that our chapter serves as a roadmap for those of you navigating your way through college. For those of you awaiting acceptance letters to various dream universities who want to understand what college is like, for those of you like me who have had a college experience already but are in the process of transferring schools and of course for those of you who have been in in college for some time – whether that be The University of Delaware or elsewhere – and want to make the most of your college career. For Blue Hens past, present and future, we hope you enjoy reading our content as much as we enjoy publishing it.

Welcome to Her Campus at The University of Delaware!

Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.