Typical Frat Party Songs: Ranked Out Of 10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

90% of the time, the music you hear at a frat party is brand new. This is fine and still makes for a good time, but the true gems of the night are the songs we all know by heart because we grew up listening to them. Here’s a definitive list of the top ten best throwback songs played at frats we all can sing along to without missing a beat.

10. “Ignition” – R. Kelly

“It’s the remix to ignition, hot and fresh out the kitchen.” This song is and always has been fun to sing along to and when it comes on between ‘go to’ frat songs, you will 100% be singing along to R. Kelly’s summer hit of the 2000s.

9. “Sugar We’re Going Down” – Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy will always be near and dear to my heart and this song never fails to liven up a party.

8. “Closing Time” – Semisonic

Chances are if you find yourself still dancing the night away in a frat house after 4 am, the DJ will start playing this on repeat to passive aggressively tell everyone the party’s over before kicking everyone out. Still, this song always makes for a great end to the night.

7. “Come On Eileen” – Dexy’s Midnight Runners

I’ve heard this personal favorite of mine played once or twice in frats, but when it comes on everyone starts singing along to this true 80’s classic. Belt it out when it comes on at parties and make your parents proud that you know this by heart.

6. “Stacy’s Mom” – Fountains of Wayne

One of the creepier songs to come out of the early 2000s, but still a fave nonetheless. Scream along to this hit, because chances are it will come on at the next frat party you grace with your presence.

5. “Shout” – The IsleyBrothers

A classic party song made famous by the hit SNL movie Animal House. What’s Animal House about exactly? An insane frat! When this gem comes on, make sure to shout along.

4. “Sweet Child O’ Mine” – Guns and Roses

Guns and Roses is great in all settings, but when it comes on in a frat between songs that no one really cares about you’d better belt out the high falsettos with lead singer Axl Rose.

3. “Mr. Brightside” – The Killers

“Coming out of my cage and I’ve been doing just fine!” You know it by heart and you will, without a doubt, sing it louder than it’s being played over the speakers.

2. “Don’t Stop Believing” – Journey

A truly beloved song by all – this Journey hit is definitely going to liven up any party you’re at.

1.”Sweet Caroline” – Neil Young

Any good frat DJ knows that this will effectively liven up a crowd of people in their tightly packed house. Number one throwback song by far.

Make sure to look out for these classics at your next party.

Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.
Addison Reich is a lively, fun and energetic girl of 21 years old. She is a Junior Psychology major with a Minor in Health & Wellness at the University of Delaware. Ad started as Udel's junior editor, but has since worked her way to becoming their Co-CC! Addison loves to write articles about personal experience and opinion. She transferred from a different university in the fall of her sophomore year, leaving behind a volleyball scholarship, but not her passion for sports, as she is working on becoming a sports psychologist. She also loves hunting, singing and Taylor Swift. If you notice, it's her token to add a picture of Swift in every header of her articles. Keep on the lookout for the next one!