Tips For the Inevitable Rainy Tuesdays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

You’re a student at the University of Delaware. It’s a Tuesday. It’s most likely raining. There’s no science to explain this one folks, but the sheer probability of it makes it highly irrefutable.

Because this is essentially a weekly occurrence, I’m always taken aback when I see a student breaking one of the unsaid rules of the Rainy Tuesdays, and I can’t help but think about how long it’s going to take for those jeans to dry when they get to class. It can totally be a bummer, but it doesn’t have to be!

So whether you’re a first year student and haven’t even experienced a rainy day yet, or you’ve been here for three years and still haven’t gotten the hang of it, here are some tips from a seasoned veteran of the inevitable Rainy Tuesdays of UD.

Proper Equipment

Repeat after me. Rain boots. Raincoat. Umbrella.

It may seem obvious, but you do not want to step foot on campus without these three essentials. You might be walking upwards of twenty-five minutes to class, and sitting in your lecture waiting to dry off is uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Get some cute ones. My rain boots have all different kinds of sparkles and I get excited when it rains because I get to wear them. Get all matchy-matchy. Get ugly ones. I don’t care. Just don’t forget them; you really can’t do without it.

Outfit

Rain is water. Jeans absorb water. Sweatshirts absorb water. Jeans and sweatshirts take a long, long time to dry. Do the math.

My best advice for rainy days is to rock those leggings, because they take five minutes to dry and look cute with rain boots and a raincoat.   

Bus

Just like when it snows or when it’s super hot and sticky outside, the buses are going to be packed when it’s raining. No one wants to walk. I would suggest getting there with at least ten minutes to spare so you’re guaranteed a spot. And pro-tip: be careful to check your seat for water before you sit down!

Find An Alternative Study Spot

If you’re one of those people that love to sit on the Green or at the tables outside Trabant doing homework, you’re going to have to find somewhere else to hang when everything’s all wet. With that, I wouldn’t suggest resorting to a place where everyone will go, like the food area at Perkins or the library. They get crowded really fast, and they’re super loud. My trick is to find an empty classroom in one of your favorite academic buildings and set up shop. You’ll just have to relocate if someone has a class in there.

Curbs

This one is more of a lifelong piece of advice. Don’t stand close to curbs when it’s raining and cars are zooming past you…for obvious reasons. But I’m throwing it in here because some spots at UD are especially dangerous (I’m looking at you crosswalk outside of Trabant).

Protect Your Laptop

This is why I suggest an umbrella even if you have a raincoat. You can hide your whole backpack under your umbrella when you’re walking, and if you don’t have a waterproof backpack, this could be essential to protecting your laptop.

Limiting The Rainy Tuesday Blues

It’s raining, the week just started, college is hard, and the Rainy Tuesday Blues are bound to happen. Throw on a happy playlist and think about how beautiful the sunshine is going to be over the Green tomorrow.     

Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda