Three Yawn-Worthy Halloween Costumes & What to Be Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

We all know what I’m talking about when I say lame costumes. I mean, really, how many times can you be a black cat or a witch and be okay with it?! If you fall into the category of wearing the same, average costume year after year (which I will admit to falling prey to), this article is for you. Not only are these costumes easy and refreshing, but they use elements from those classic Halloween costumes that everyone has donned at least once. Come on Collegiates– challenge yourself to a costume that will act as a conversation starter rather than a sleeping pill *yawn*. Try updating your look with a few of these suggestions.

1) Instead of a BLACK CAT be a CAT BURGLAR
The cat costume easily makes the top five on the most over-worn costume list. Not that I blame you. The tight black dress, black heels and cat ears combo is one of the easiest ones out there. For the most part, everything can be found in the average girl’s closet and all you need are the additional ears and whiskers. This year, spice up your look and put those cat ears to use in a totally different way. Grab your tightest black jeggings (preferably leather for those daring few) and a tight black tank or corset-style top. We’re aiming for sexy and sleek—channel your inner Catwoman! Use your black heels and cat ears, but instead of cute whiskers, look for a simple black eye mask or use washable face paint to create a black band across your eyes. To complete the look, buy a burlap bag or use an old pillowcase. Stuff it with cotton or whatever you find lying around, use a permanent marker to draw a big money sign on the front ($$$) and tie it off with a piece of string or ribbon. Not only will you be looking extra fierce, but everyone will be dying to know which jewelry store you robbed this time!

2)Instead of a WITCH be a GYPSY
The witch is another one of those costumes that is way too overrated. I get that you can stick a witch hat on your head and everyone will know what you are, but this year we’re going to show everyone just how creative you can be. The gypsy costume is an awesome way to put that maxi skirt that you’ve been wearing all summer to use. Use a peasant blouse on top and you’ll be looking gypsy-chic in no time. If you love keeping up on the trends and have seen the turban look that has recently been spotted on the likes of Kourtney Kardashian and Eva Mendes, you should run to the store and buy one immediately. Not only are they a cute alternative to a headband, but they work perfectly with this gypsy theme. Another option that may seem a little dorky but would totally work is the Turbie Twist towel. Basically, it’s a small towel that buttons into place without the extra weight and fabric of a regular towel, which obviously would look fantastic as a gypsy turban—talk about functional and fashionable!! To top off the look, of course you’re going to need your crystal ball. Grab a glass paperweight, a large light bulb OR even better, a Magic 8 ball and everyone will be asking you for their fortune for the rest of the night!

3) Instead of RISKY BUSINESS be the WALK OF SHAME
When I first saw a tutorial for the Tom Cruise costume from Risky Business, I thought ‘What a great costume– It’s easy, cute and I’m sure no one else will be wearing it!’ That was before I walked into a party and spotted not only one but FIVE other girls wearing the exact same thing. So much for having a unique Halloween costume. The men’s oversized pink button-up, tube socks and Ray Ban sunglasses seemed like a good choice at the time until I realized how ridiculously popular the costume truly was. This year reuse your oversized button-up in a new way and dress as that scandalous girl that everyone loves to hate. Just throw on a short skirt underneath, borrow a pair of guy’s flip flops and tease your hair. To look even more accurate, carry a pair of heels and make sure your make-up has that messy, just-woken-up look. Not only will everyone find your costume hilarious, but it will be unexpected as well! Not that I’m supporting the walk of shame (although this outfit would go over much better the next morning rather than your typical wild Halloween costume), but these few alterations will personalize your costume and let you be the talk of the party!

Sara studies at the University of Delaware (go blue hens!), and absolutely loves it. She is currently studying communications and english with a professional writing concentration. and is fostering a developing interest in public relations after having been introduced to the field through the Public Relations Student Society of America at UD. That has inspired her to concentrate in public relations in the future, though she is a firm believer in getting a well-rounded education and taking a bunch of classes in various subjects. Wherever her education takes her, Sara has always had a passion for writing and will continue her writing in any way possible throughout the remainder of her college years and beyond! Born in New York City, she appreciates and is preparing for the fast paced lifestyle of a city girl, but enjoys the more relaxed nature of her hometown on the Jersey Shore (though she is not affiliated in any way with the cast of MTV’s Jersey Shore). Only minutes from the beach, Sara tries not to take the beautiful atmosphere for granted. Similarly, she tries not to take anything else in her life for granted, and in this sense, prides herself on her strong work ethic. She believes that when life gets tough, it’s only because something great is on the horizon. She adores music, her family and friends, movies, writing, magazines, and travel. Sara cannot wait to see what else college has in store for her, and is ready to take more risks and live with no regrets. She is beyond thrilled to be part of the Her Campus team, and looks forward to writing and editing content that focuses on an audience of college women dedicated to achieving their aspirations.