sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Seven Stages of Grief: How I Dealt With My Boyfriend’s Crazy Girl Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

My first love was everything all at once. It was the kind of love you never come back from because you never try to, never want to and could not imagine abandoning. He was the kind of boy you fight for and the kind of love you die for.

As cliché as this all sounds, we were only 16 and the world was ours. I remember sitting in his white pickup driving around town with my boots on the dash and our hands interlocked. The music was so loud that the left speaker blew and the sound of our singing/screaming combination left us deaf in both ears. Strands of twinkle lights draped across the indigo sky, claiming the summer night, and I sat back, looked up at those bright stars, took a deep breath and thanked God for the boy sitting next to me. This was most days: complete and utter bliss, just the two of us.

However, there was a third. She was the ignorance that my bliss pleaded not to have. She was the stress my composure was tested for. She was always there in the background, relentlessly trying to take my foreground.

She claimed that my boyfriend was hers, that he was her best friend first and foremost and that I was nothing but a disposable fling. But fling or not, a girl needs to know when to back off and let a relationship be a natural and beautiful thing without interference.

This girl had no idea.

She was once my best friend and the reason I met the love of my life; but she quickly became the cause of two breakups and countless emotional breakdowns. While I thought our friendship was strong, the tables began to turn and for an entire year I dealt with her annoyances. I dealt with her tickling him in front of me and noticed them sneaking around behind my back with her as the ringleader. She would answer the door to his house and would show up unannounced, which lead to me turning into the third wheel when she decided to crash our dates. Imagine the jealousy and the rage that I felt. How could she be right, that I really was second to her? The mind games were outrageous. I felt as if I was just the idiot being played in this twisted love triangle. To cope with my grief and stress, I turned to sports.

However in the cold month of February one year, the final straw was drawn. I had left for a sports tournament up in Boston, MA. Curious, I asked my boyfriend what he would be doing that night while I was gone. The answer I received stopped my heart, then gave me the adrenaline to restart it and send a string of raging texts to my boyfriend.

He was going to dinner with Her. Alone. They had plans to go to a fancy, dress-pants for him, a nice skirt for her type of place. She was paying because she was proud of him for getting a good grade and wanted to take him out to celebrate.

That is when I pulled the plug on my “perfect” relationship that had actually fallen into the puppet strings of her control. How could she make me feel like such a bad girlfriend? I was not there to celebrate with him, I was not there to coddle him and hold his hand as I felt I should. These were the mind games. 30 seconds later, the text went out to her that we were not friends, and to him that we were not a couple. I had at least found enough self-respect to stand up for myself.

The funny thing was, one month later, as he looked upon his life and realized that he had given me up for her, I got the phone call to take him back. I did on one condition: that he had to forget her. I suppose to some that would be harsh and cliché, but to equate that with the tears that streamed out of my eyes for an entire year almost every night, I would say I was easy on him.

Aside from my continual personal problems, I am sure that I am not alone in this situation. Shake your head if you can relate to having some girl break your relationship up for you. Stand up if your ex-best-friend wanted to screw your boyfriend (or did for that matter). Put your middle fingers in the air if she caused you mental pain in any way.

There is no cure for this perpetual hurt, but there are ways to conquer the jealousy and anger it locks up in you. Truth be told, I am still trying these out for myself, but maybe we can do them together. Read next week for some approaches to the seven stages of grief in this scenario

Addison Reich is a lively, fun and energetic girl of 21 years old. She is a Junior Psychology major with a Minor in Health & Wellness at the University of Delaware. Ad started as Udel's junior editor, but has since worked her way to becoming their Co-CC! Addison loves to write articles about personal experience and opinion. She transferred from a different university in the fall of her sophomore year, leaving behind a volleyball scholarship, but not her passion for sports, as she is working on becoming a sports psychologist. She also loves hunting, singing and Taylor Swift. If you notice, it's her token to add a picture of Swift in every header of her articles. Keep on the lookout for the next one!
Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.