tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to avoid political ideology straining your friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

While living on any college campus, especially one that is public and extremely diverse, such as University of Delaware, there are plenty of extra activities, groups, and clubs to get involved with. Many of them tend to lean toward a certain political ideology; this models our nations’ democratic principles and first amendment rights at their finest.

We are absolutely lucky that our nation allows us to freely express out political affinities, and even those of us who maybe do not really care about politics, there is always the option to register and research. These sorts of clubs are the perfect resources or means to find friends with those who share the same values and beliefs as you; especially freshmen and even incoming transfer students who want to make fast friends and identify quickly with others on campus.

However, as much as you try to hang out with those who are very much like you, you are bound to create a strong bond with those who are possibly completely politically divergent to yourself. This is OK though; as long as you put effort into understanding different peoples’ views, everything should go along fine.

Here’s a list of helpful hints ton getting along with or understanding friends and others with various ideological backgrounds:

– If you and a friend are extreme opposites of the spectrum and you both like to debate to no ends, either try to avoid this, talk calmly and back your arguments up with facts, or prepare to have intense confrontation on a regular basis.  

– Try to really put yourself in the other persons’ shoes: why do they believe this and what facts do they have to back up their claims?

– Listen. This is one of the best strategies to making and keeping good friendships in the first place, but definitely helps when dealing with political discussions.

– Know when to speak and to let things go; if a friend says something that you absolutely do not agree with, express this in a calm and normal manner, or else just move on to a different topic; the issue most likely is not worth ruining a friendship.

– Don’t judge; you may think that your opinion is the “end all be all,” and may think your political party is better, or whatever. HOWEVER, you must remember everyone is entitled to their own views, and opinions; a little disagreement should not bother anyone that much.

– Remember, in the “real world” not everyone going to believe the same set of values of you; when you get a job and are in an office setting, sure, there will be little political talks here and there, but if you are always shooting your mouth off and believing your views are better than everyone else’s, be prepared to eat lunch alone.

In my nineteen years, I have had many a friend who was the complete opposite of me; you do not want to miss out on opportunities to learn and grow, and so do not be so willing to avoid those who are different, politically speaking. Who knows, life has a funny way of working things out, and the “ranting liberal” or “uppity conservative” that you just cannot stand may be your future spouse.

Hi! I currently attend Towson University with a double major in English and Mass Communication. I am actively involved on campus, and hope to inspire and aid as many collegiate women readers as possible.
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda