This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

What I find the most difficult about picking a tattoo is the place and the design. I have so many personal experiences and ideas  that I want to express through tattoos. I think of getting them for my cat that passed away, my family and even my favorite band. I just don’t know what quote or symbol to use to represent these feelings. It’s also hard to find tattoos with meaning that aren’t too over the top. I prefer small tattoos in cliche places such as the ankle, wrist and torso.

Currently I have a tattoo of an elephant on my upper left rib cage. I got this tattoo with my mom last Thanksgiving because she loves elephants as well. Now, everytime I see this tattoo, I think of my mom. I also love this tattoo because it is so tiny and people can only see it if I want them to.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUySTTZjRJ7w414lEc/giphy.gif

I have a predicament right now of deciding which tattoo I want to get next. I had only planned on getting one tattoo but my tattoo artist said “once you get one, you’ll always want more”. In my head I was like “nah, I won’t want anymore,” but coming to college and seeing all of my friends get more tattoos made me want more too. I’m going through a tattoo phase right now where all I do in my free time is look at tattoos. I lowkey love Harry Styles and One Direction, therefore, I want one that symbolizes them and Harry by himself. I spent a few days thinking about it but I believe I’m going to get two tattoos, one of the number 18 and the phrase 17BLACK. The number 18 is for one of my favorite One Direction songs, which was actually written by Ed Sheeran. Ironic enough, the song is called 18.

Then, 17BLACK is a tattoo that Harry has. I think would be cool to have the same one as him. I looked up the meaning and it was his lucky number and it also related to the James Bond movies. I like this because I also love the James Bond movies, plus if Harry’s lucky number is 17, my lucky number is 17. And if Harry likes the tattoo, then I may as well too.  

I hope this helps people to decide on which tattoo to get, because people should be able to express what they love without getting judged for it. For example, I am getting a One Direction tattoo and a Harry Styles tattoo and I don’t give a flying flip. I’ve realized that I shouldn’t let anyones opinion deter me away from getting what I feel passionate about.

Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.