This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

It’s fair to say that we all know what it’s like to make the decision to have a well-rounded snack or meal, and before you know it you’ve finished the entire bag or reached that dreaded point of unbuttoning your jeans. When this happens, more times than not, your attention is on something other than your food. It’s time to shift that focus and learn the importance of being truly present during a meal and enjoying each and every delicious bite. One of the best ways to connect with loved ones is to go on a date with them, so why not develop a great relationship with food the same way? Go on a date with your dinner, and, heck, make it a romantic one.

First, set the mood: set the table for one, dim the lights, place a candle on the table, plate your meal on your finest china, and turn off any and all electronics. The cyber world can do without you for a little while – you have more important things to attend to. Put on a little background music if that usually does the trick and – hey – if you slip into something a little more comfortable, we won’t tell anyone ;).

As you begin your journey with your meal, commit to taking your time. Put your fork down in between bites, chew slowly, and concentrate on all of the sensual flavors and textures in the dish. Take slow sips of water. Pause. Breathe. This is your time to connect with your food, just like you would connect with a friend, so don’t rush! Both parties have the right to get to know each other.

Notice your body. What signals is it sending you? Chances are you’ll start to feel satisfied – physically and emotionally – much quicker than usual. As a result, you’ll be much more aware of the amount that you are actually consuming and won’t bring yourself to a point of discomfort.

Embrace mealtime like you would a friend. Send love to the food you’re eating for spending time with you, for all of the beautiful fuel it is giving your body, and for the amazing way it makes you feel. Dating your food will naturally allow your body to know when it’s time to stop eating and to be more willing to listen to it. The best part is, each and every bite will be more tantalizing than ever before.

Sara studies at the University of Delaware (go blue hens!), and absolutely loves it. She is currently studying communications and english with a professional writing concentration. and is fostering a developing interest in public relations after having been introduced to the field through the Public Relations Student Society of America at UD. That has inspired her to concentrate in public relations in the future, though she is a firm believer in getting a well-rounded education and taking a bunch of classes in various subjects. Wherever her education takes her, Sara has always had a passion for writing and will continue her writing in any way possible throughout the remainder of her college years and beyond! Born in New York City, she appreciates and is preparing for the fast paced lifestyle of a city girl, but enjoys the more relaxed nature of her hometown on the Jersey Shore (though she is not affiliated in any way with the cast of MTV’s Jersey Shore). Only minutes from the beach, Sara tries not to take the beautiful atmosphere for granted. Similarly, she tries not to take anything else in her life for granted, and in this sense, prides herself on her strong work ethic. She believes that when life gets tough, it’s only because something great is on the horizon. She adores music, her family and friends, movies, writing, magazines, and travel. Sara cannot wait to see what else college has in store for her, and is ready to take more risks and live with no regrets. She is beyond thrilled to be part of the Her Campus team, and looks forward to writing and editing content that focuses on an audience of college women dedicated to achieving their aspirations.